Gazza 3.0 fit in Surly 1*1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gazza 3.0 fit in Surly 1*1?

Yes, as the title says. Does it fit in that Surly-fork or in any other fork? I have a bizzare itch to try out some fat-tire SSing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes

3" gazzi fits with plenty to spare in a Karate Monkey fork. Thats what I run all the time! If ya do it, be sure to use a low enough tire pressure, 15-20psi. I weigh 185# and have never pinch flatted a 3.0 gazzi, and I hit the rim quite often!

bike ON
    bob

mtbr member
    Hi there Red.

Thanks for the response. Aren`t the KarateMonkey a 27" fork? The plan was to try out a rigid Surly 1*1-fork for my Chameleon. Wont the KM-fork throw the geometry out of whack?
    And, oh ya, what rim are you using? D321s?

highly visible
    Quote Originally Posted by erol/frost
    Hi there Red.

Thanks for the response. Aren`t the KarateMonkey a 27" fork? The plan was to try out a rigid Surly 1*1-fork for my Chameleon. Won�t the KM-fork throw the geometry out of whack?
    KM fork is a 29" fork. Use it only if you're pulling a longer-travel suspension fork off your bike.

And yes, it has plenty of clearance for a 3.0, which I would expect to also be true of the shorter 1x1 fork. I've been running an Arrow Prime Wide 26x3.0 occasionally in the front of my KM fork (at 10 psi!!) and it fits with lots of room to spare. You'd be able to fit a 3.5 if such a thing existed.

semi-evolved simian
    Hi there Red.

Thanks for the response. Aren`t the KarateMonkey a 27" fork? The plan was to try out a rigid Surly 1*1-fork for my Chameleon. Wont the KM-fork throw the geometry out of whack?
    Wouldn't a 1x1 fork be way too short for a Chameleon, that thing's designed for a 120mm fork isn't it ? If so then a maybe you should try a Surly Instigator fork ? KM fork might work well too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... hey there

Hi there Red.

Thanks for the response. Aren`t the KarateMonkey a 27" fork? The plan was to try out a rigid Surly 1*1-fork for my Chameleon. Won?t the KM-fork throw the geometry out of whack?
    As said below, it is a 29er fork, but you can run whatever you want if ya run disc brakes. I have cut off the canti mounts and just run it as a nice long rigid fork with a 26" WTB Speedisk (narrow 24mm width) rim. The Gazzi has plenty of sidewall stiffness that it has no problem running on a narrow rim, I just don't RACE d/h with it. Tho I can keep up with the d/h riders for a couple of miles...hehehe

Soon, I hope to lace up a Sun Singletrack rim (32mm wide) for my front wheel, still waiting on the True Precision front hub...

bike on

bob

mtbr member
    Hi all and thanks for replying. If the Instigator isn`t too long, i think i`ll have one of those for my Chameleon. I remember using a 4 inch 2000 Marzocchi Z1-QR20 on my SantaCruz and that fork made the overall-geometry just fine.