gates belt noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

gates belt noise

I was wondering if anybody out there is getting a dry sort of sound form the Gates carbon drive belt (cent- lock) It is very quite for the first 5-7 miles then the dry sound starts, is there a fix to this like a spray lube or something? I ride mostly in the dry region of Cali. with dust and not a lot of rain.

Thanks,

David

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I personally have not had issues with mine. On my daily ride I start in the forest and end up along the beach. More moisture than your experiencing might play into it, but other than a quick rinse with a hose after the super dirty rides I literally do nothing to it at all.

Main question I have for you is on belt line. Are you positive that the belt cogs are aligned?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^I've got 2 belt drive bikes, one of them is my year round commuter which gets ridden in all kinds of nastiness and I've never noticed anything like you are describing.

I second the question about the alignment.

mtbr member
    My wife has a Spot Brand center lock bicycle. She commutes on it.

After a year it began to squeak to the point where I noticed it.

I told her to rinse the belt with water. We rode to the next gas station and used the water spigot on a hose next to the air pump. Backpedaled holding the bike stationary, she just ran water over the belt.

Voila, it was quiet and stayed quiet for a long long time, of course it dried out. I think it stayed quiet for a few months.

So now all she does if she starts to hear the belt, she takes the water bottle and does a quick rinse when she gets to where she is going.

She loves that bike. It is clean and quiet.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I had a belt bike with the center track that made a ton of noise. I ride in CO and UT where it is super dry all the time. I would rinse the belt after each ride and the alignment was dead nuts on. None of that mattered, it always made noise about 5 minutes into a ride and was really noisy. Gates recommended some kind of spray lube but my solution was to just sell the bike. There is no way you will convince me that a super expensive (compared to a chain) system that is marketed as not needing lube should need lube. At that point a chain is a 100% improvement in my eyes. And I can buy like 100 chains per belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious. :D

mtbr member
    Okay, the Spot bike with Gates CT my wife rides is not a mountain bike.

I just asked her if it is still quiet, and she said it was.

Personally, I am convinced chain drive is superior in mountain bikes.

I am concerned about noise. I don't like to hear my bike making noise. I do not like noisy rear hubs either.

Recently I was riding around a couple of peeps with Profile rear hubs. Holy moly, what a racket.

When the Spot bike belt started to make noise I thought about lube on it, and I was pretty sure that would be a bad thing, attracting dirt, and wearing the belt down, starting a spiral of bad news.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I was wondering if anybody out there is getting a dry sort of sound form the Gates carbon drive belt (cent- lock) It is very quite for the first 5-7 miles then the dry sound starts, is there a fix to this like a spray lube or something? I ride mostly in the dry region of Cali. with dust and not a lot of rain.
    Here in dry Colorado I noticed a few noises, rough sounds or an occasional pop.

First check alignment with a straight edge or a string pulled tight, then check tension. At the beginning of each bike season I rinse the belt off with water and use a tooth brush to get it all clean. After it drys, I then spray it down with silicone lube (as recommended by Gates) and let it dry overnight. After that it's good for a couple hundred miles of silent operation.

Shop Blaster 11-oz Silicone Lube at Lowes.com