Gary Fisher Rig value?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Gary Fisher Rig value?

I have a black rig with the eccentric bb. 19 inch 29er, avid bb5, rock shock reba sl fork. Everything else factory. Only a dozen rides on it. Is it a 2008 model? 32 x 17/18. What is my rig worth. Would like to trade for a cyclecross ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

your rig

I believe the 2008 was mocha with a fox fork. I think you have an 07. I would say in these parts that bike would be in the 550 to 650 range.

noob
    i had mine on ebay and bidding was only at 550 i pulled the auction. i wasnt going to let it go for that price, ide rather keep it
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    BB-5's are a downgrade (pretty major one IMO) from the BB-7's that were stock on the 2007. Given that would be from the Gary Fissure era it would be hard pressed for anyone in the know to risk buying one without a warranty. Original MSRP was $1199 so it probably sold for around $1099 at most Fisher dealers. I'd give it maybe a $550 value.

Trail Junkie
    Sorry for getting off-topic for the OP....Just out of curiosity, what are the "performance" upgrades that the BB7s have over the BB5s? I am considering BB5 because they are cheaper, but doing a Kool Stop pad upgrade. They come with the same rotors but I plan on using my Hope Floaters.

Brakes tend to be something thats "Set and forget" so after making adjustments, how often do you have to "toy with a tool free inside pad adjustment? I had BB7s many many years ago, but I have since been on hydros, but I am planning on building a CX/Off-road touring bike, and I want disc brakes for more stopping power over V's.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Sorry for getting off-topic for the OP....Just out of curiosity, what are the "performance" upgrades that the BB7s have over the BB5s? I am considering BB5 because they are cheaper, but doing a Kool Stop pad upgrade. They come with the same rotors but I plan on using my Hope Floaters.

Brakes tend to be something thats "Set and forget" so after making adjustments, how often do you have to "toy with a tool free inside pad adjustment? I had BB7s many many years ago, but I have since been on hydros, but I am planning on building a CX/Off-road touring bike, and I want disc brakes for more stopping power over V's.
    I have had BB7's on my 2008 Rig and my Pugsley. I like the 7's because they are a breeze to set up and easy to adjust if I have to on the trail. In my experience, the 7's are stiffer than the 5's. BB7's have a 2 piece forged aluminum body whereas the BB5's have a one piece unidentified material body. On bikes I set up at work that have 5's I can't seem to get a good lever feel out of them but 7's feel solid with a good lever and a nice compressionless housing cable. Just my 2 cents!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    BB-5's are a downgrade (pretty major one IMO) from the BB-7's that were stock on the 2007. Given that would be from the Gary Fissure era it would be hard pressed for anyone in the know to risk buying one without a warranty. Original MSRP was $1199 so it probably sold for around $1099 at most Fisher dealers. I'd give it maybe a $550 value.
    This imo. To the poser asking about BB5 vs BB7...don't waste time or money withe BB5s especially off road.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'll be selling my RIG(exact same as yours) here soon too. I just bought a Carve SL, so my Rig is retired.

I'm in WI, and I was probably gonna post it on Craigslist for $525, hoping to get $500 for it. Might have to wait till Spring to get a buyer though.

Mine came with BB7's. Those things are bombproof, and super easy to adjust. Perfect for a set-it-and-forget-it type bike that the Rig is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post

-Cold forged two piece vs Melt forged one piece body...the BB7 has a stiffer body than the BB5 which provides better power.
    -In board and out board adjustments vs just in board adjustment. Mechanical brakes are not set and forget because they are not self adjusting. As the pads wear you need to adjust them. Not only are the BB7's easier to set up, but they are also easier to adjust.
    -The BB7 uses a larger pad than the BB5. Larger pad, more contact, more stopping power, longer pad durability, better heat distribution.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That model year was from the Sir Cracks a Lot era. I say 500 tops, if you are lucky.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was thinking more like $400. Hope you get what you want out of it, but I really think that's the more realistic price.

Members who have read this thread: 0