gary fisher ebb size and replacement options- Mtbr.com
    The Voice of Reason

gary fisher ebb size and replacement options

i want to replace the ebb on my old gf rig. what size is it and what are my options?
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

openwound
    Bikeman sells a carver that's got a delrin body. I used one on my rig and it worked well -- it was quieter than the original.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i use a bushnell eccentric the lighter model and i solved every problem i hated about eccentrics they cost about $130

MN/WI
    How "old" is "old"?
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

The Voice of Reason
    i got it off ebay so i'm not sure. it's purple.

Expert Crasher
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    Bikeman sells a carver that's got a delrin body. I used one on my rig and it worked well -- it was quieter than the original.
    Carver worked for me. Love it.
    If you never crash you are not trying hard enough.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if you need the shim on a rig for the bushnell?

I've got the carver in but I've had a lot of hassle with it slipping and creaking.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Carver here on a 2009 Rig..... No issues other than a stripped bolt.....

Order a spare as those things are soft............... And yes, I used a brand new allen key........

mtbr member
    I've got 3 spares having rounded off two!! need to use to allen keys for either side.

still creaks and moves.

going to have to try the bushnell

mtbr member
    I have a Rig as well, I am looking to install a Fifteen G crankset on it. Does anyone know if the Carver BB would work okay with the Fifteen G BB?
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the Carver ... pisses me off! It is lighter/quieter then the factory but the expander bolt is a big piece of crap and strips out very easy even when using their dedicated allen wrench. I have been on the phone with them many times and they are very nice people and even sent me a free expander bolt (thank you). I just wish they could resolve this one issue. If you change out rear cogs often like when racing/training, then you will be pissed off a lot too. If, on the other hand, you never change cogs or never need to adjust the chain, then it will be fine ... unless you push big, hard climbs ... then it may slip a bit like mine has and you'll need to re-adjust and then the bolt will strip out again and then you'll be pissed off again. I guess it sounds like I'm pissed off a lot!?

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sportsdoc
    I have the Carver ... pisses me off! It is lighter/quieter then the factory but the expander bolt is a big piece of crap and strips out very easy even when using their dedicated allen wrench. I have been on the phone with them many times and they are very nice people and even sent me a free expander bolt (thank you). I just wish they could resolve this one issue. If you change out rear cogs often like when racing/training, then you will be pissed off a lot too. If, on the other hand, you never change cogs or never need to adjust the chain, then it will be fine ... unless you push big, hard climbs ... then it may slip a bit like mine has and you'll need to re-adjust and then the bolt will strip out again and then you'll be pissed off again. I guess it sounds like I'm pissed off a lot!?
    I stripped mine out the first day....... POS design.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoen
    i use a bushnell eccentric the lighter model and i solved every problem i hated about eccentrics they cost about $130
    Just looked at the Bushnell EBB ... the 4mm expander bolt looks identical to the one used by Carver! If it is the same, how is it any different in regards to the expander bolt stripping out?

mtbr member
    I just talked to the guys at Carver today, and they said that the bolt has been changed to a stainless one. The previous bolt was softer and stripped easily. Also, the new one has not had any problems. I may get one, if the Fifteen G BB will work!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau
    I just talked to the guys at Carver today, and they said that the bolt has been changed to a stainless one. The previous bolt was softer and stripped easily. Also, the new one has not had any problems. I may get one, if the Fifteen G BB will work!

How do you know you are getting the "new" bolt?

I just want to buy this once.

mtbr member
    He said that the new BB's have the new bolt! Haha

The Voice of Reason
    frame broke. new sir niner on the way.

mtbr member
    I've gone back to my original EBB, covered in copper grease and turned it several times around its axis (to smear it) and guess what - no creak for first 100 miles!

mtbr member
    What is the wieght on the delrin Carver? Anyone else have any experience with it?

As far as creaking goes. I took my EBB and the inner shell on frame to task with red scotchbrite to clean it. Then I smeared valve lapping compound on both surfaces and with a little tension on the wedge, spun the EBB back and forth. Recleaned, relubed and silent! Now I can hear my rear hub coming apart!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the Carver EBB for my GF Rig. The unit itself is pretty solid and light (not sure of the extact weight). But, the explander bolt is a big piece of sh*t, IMO. Let me qualify this statement. I race my SS and there for I'm changing the rear cog frequently which means having to readjust the EBB frequently. The expander bolt can't take the frequent adjustments, It will strip out or break apart. When this happens, you have to remove the crank and try to adjust it from the drive side, a big PITA, IMO of course. If you're going to set it and forget it, then you'll be fine. Carver says they are redesigning the bolt to be made of stainless steel but they are not available yet. I've gone through 6 expander bolts in about 10 months and I'm pretty anal about bike care and know how to use a allen wrench.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Anybody know if the new 'stronger' bolts are available? I've gone through two...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not as of last week ... had to get another one, my 6th (I think, stopped counting). They sai they're working on a stainless steel one but not sure when it will be avail. The other problem I ran into is that I'm so scared of stripping the bolt I don't tighten it enough and then I get slipping of the EBB. Sucks!

Members who have read this thread: 0