G2 Rig upgrade advice- Mtbr.com
    People of zee wurl,Relax!

G2 Rig upgrade advice

Had my first race on the new G2 Fisher Rig yesterday and absolutely love the bike. It handles awesome and fits perfect. I kept it stock to find out what I like and what needs to be changed for "smart" upgrades. I really like the feel of the cockpit so I am just going to upgrade to a Thomson stem and a lighter seatpost and keep the saddle (I like the color and it feels pretty good). The big decisions I have are wheels and cranks. As far as wheels I think this is where the biggest performance gains are made. I have the chance to buy a new set of Bontrager X Lite wheels from a friend who went to a Crossmax wheelset on his Superfly. It isn't SS specific but is light and highly reviewed. I don't know if it is worth the money or if I should just keep the stock wheels and go tubeless. Next, I actually haven't noticed any problems with the stock cranks but the reviews are not favorable. Are they really that bad or should I upgrade? I have a set of XTR 960s I can set up single with a Blackspire ring for $20 or just keep the Bontragers. The bike currently weighs in at 25.5 lbs and feels pretty light but I would like to get it down to at least 22 - 23 lbs (not a total weight weenie but I am going to be doing a lot of races).
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mutaullyassuredsuffering

upgrades

If you remember I had a Rig last year, and then switched everything over to my Niner.

I'm running the Race-X-lites. After getting thorned on every other ride, I decided I had to go tubeless.They are not as light as the Stans 355's, but are stiffer by far. The hubs (DT240's) are in my opinion the best out there. (they are in the 1750 gram range with the integrated rim strips versus around 1600 for the 240/355 combo)

I also switched out the cranks to the XTR 960's after them repeatedly coming loose, and having BB problems. The 960's work great and saved a fair amount of weight.

The stock stem and seatpost were huge pigs on mine as well...
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Mtbr
    I'd say the X lites sound good with tubeless. The XTR cranks are a good idea as the Bontragers are flexy and at risk of falling off. I know this based on reviews, and because it happened to me. Also, I'd say get the 2008 Bontrager Race X Lite Stem for around $40 on ebay. It ways 120 Grams, and the Thomson is almost 200.
    2008 Rig

People of zee wurl,Relax!

Going with the Race X Lites

I think I'm going with the Bontrager wheels. I am going to keep the Rig a Singlespeed and just curious if this wheelset is as good as building up a SS specific wheelset. What cog and spacers should I use so I don't damage the cassette spindle? The price is quite a bit less than if I built up custom wheels and the weight should bring the Rig way down.
    Less Talk, More Rock.
    http://www.peakmtb.com

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Surly

Quote Originally Posted by trail topher
    I think I'm going with the Bontrager wheels. I am going to keep the Rig a Singlespeed and just curious if this wheelset is as good as building up a SS specific wheelset. What cog and spacers should I use so I don't damage the cassette spindle? The price is quite a bit less than if I built up custom wheels and the weight should bring the Rig way down.
    The wheels work great. I know you don't have a dish with a pure SShub, but I havent noticed any flex out of the wheel....

I like the surly cogs, since they have a good wide base on 'em unlike that skinny POS that comes stock. You can either buy a spacer kit from just about any shop, or go the dirtbag way like me and use BB spacers. I like having the option of throwing gears on my bike. The wheels, and the XTR960 crank make the conversion pretty painless..
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

Members who have read this thread: 0