G2 fox on XXIX?- Mtbr.com

Thread: G2 fox on XXIX?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

G2 fox on XXIX?

My buddys bike has been sitting on my porch for almost 3 years now. Its an 08 GF x caliber with a G2 fox fork i think. Would it make sense to put it on my XXIX? I love my white bros fork but im soooo tempted to try a suspension fork on this frame. So would it make sense geometry wise and will it fit?

nothing to see here
    As long as the axle to crown measurement is similar (or a bit larger when accounting for sag) it should be fine.

Very interested to know your thoughts on the handling changes.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The white bros fork is the 445 model. Not sure what the fox fork is. Should be quite a big difference i think. I just eyeballed it and the fox looks about 4 or 4 1/2 in longer. Its a fox 32 model. I think the bike is an 08 x caliber. It probably has less than 200 miles on it.

banned
    Personally, having a 2007 XXIX with the non-suspension corrected fork @ 445mm, I think you are going to hose up your handling with a fork that long. If you can drop it to 80mm travel it would be better, but still I think it would ruin the intended handling characteristics.

And yes I know the XXIX+G has a squishy fork on it (same frame), but I found the handling on it very sloppy. Some bikes are just designed to be rigid front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nice_Guy View Post
    Personally, having a 2007 XXIX with the non-suspension corrected fork @ 445mm, I think you are going to hose up your handling with a fork that long. If you can drop it to 80mm travel it would be better, but still I think it would ruin the intended handling characteristics.

And yes I know the XXIX+G has a squishy fork on it (same frame), but I found the handling on it very sloppy. Some bikes are just designed to be rigid front.
    Yea, the more i think about it the more i think its a bad idea lol. I might just sell the frame and get something my size and go from there. I love my bike rigid but sometimes i need to ride a suspension fork for a week to remember how awesome my rigid is.

Birthday Collector
    I gotta agree with that fork on a 2007 being a bad idea! I know a guy who did it and the thing looked like a chopper... He liked to bomb hills and said he liked it for that - but the thing wandered all over when trying to climb. The later XXIX had an option for suspension-corrected for an 80mm as I recall, but that bike rocks as a rigid - I rode mine everywhere and it felt great. Don't mess it up!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For what it's worth, my fiancee has a non G2 80mm fox on her small XXIX. She loves how that bike rides.