Funny what passes as an SS these days...- Mtbr.com
    DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Funny what passes as an SS these days...

I'm assuming SS stands for singlespeed. Who knows? S

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=27948

hispanic mechanic

nope...

for the life of me, i can't remember what it stood for. this was ibis' first production mountain bike frame, before the mojo.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    for the life of me, i can't remember what it stood for. this was ibis' first production mountain bike frame, before the mojo.

the los
    I believe it stood for "Setting Sun" or something similar
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    I'm assuming SS stands for singlespeed. Who knows? S
    "SS" is not "singlespeed in this case. The Ibis SS was their production bike in the late '80s, early '90s. You could even buy one at REI.

"SS" might have been for SuperStock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I stand corrected then! And I thought I knew a fair bit about Ibis. Funny, an REI Ibis. Although I guess REI was a bit different in late 80s / early 90s. S

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    "SS" stood for "setting sun". it had something to do with looking to the west from the left coast, and pacific rim parts from suntour, or something. ibis had a brief fling with a grassroots suntour/ibis team in different locales around the US and abroad at this time. they set up riders with a nice set of clothes and a SS/microdrive bike at pro deal prices.

these bikes were indeed the forerunners of the mojo. they are not to be confuzzled with the 'avion" series of bikes that were made in the orient - japan - and sold at REI.

the SS's were pretty nice bikes, but a distinct departure from the previuos "customs", which featured such things as scalloped head tube and seattube reinforcement rings, small gauge tubing, type II wtb forks and the like.

that's how i remember it, anyway.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    The "SS" stands for Setting Sun. A play on the not-so-good experience Ibis had with building their Avion model in Japan. They brought production of the Avion back to the US and called it the Avion SS for a very short period and then simply shortened it to SS. That blue/purple fade was their "team" paint job. Looks a lot like mine. There's an post on the whole Ibis Avion deal in the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum. Here's mine.

In addition to the customs Ibis made early on, the SS was also customizable (is that a word? it is now). My SS was customized with a 24" t/t on the 20" frame, c/s mounted roller cam mounts, Koski fork - with a brazed in plug so I could run an LD stem (I always thought the Koski fork both tracked and rode great), 3rd set of water bottle bosses. The SS frames also used a blend of light weight thin-wall tubing. Once the SS came out, I don't think the "custom" was available. The SS became Ibis' frame.

Regarding REI, I think the reason REI sold them was because Ibis had quite a bit of stock on hand and possibly made a deal with REI because they weren't moving through the shops. We sold plenty of Avions through the shop I worked at. One of the colors of the Avion also was probably responsible for the slow sales - we called it raw hamburger, a kind of dusty pinkish rose. Ick.

ssmike (ss = single speed? ss = Ibis SS?)
    Last edited by ssmike; 08-19-2006 at 08:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ..couple other things

the frame is not really suspension doable. it was not designed thus.

that fork is a koski. nice tracking, but not too soft riding.

the ibis stem on this bike appears to be missing. they were painted to match ( quill style ).

the blue/purple split fade was the team color. looks good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    well you could still get a custom, if you wanted to wait. i had one buddy who did, at least and he just went with the SS/team fade for paint to save money. it was someplace around here that mr williams left - maybe after he was gone the custom ( old style) was no longer available - dunno. certainly he wouldv'e built you one as a willits brand - altho - he would've also triied to talk you into 29er!!

my current SS ( singlespeed ) is an old custom.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    well you could still get a custom, if you wanted to wait. i had one buddy who did, at least and he just went with the SS/team fade for paint to save money. it was someplace around here that mr williams left - maybe after he was gone the custom ( old style) was no longer available - dunno. certainly he wouldv'e built you one as a willits brand - altho - he would've also triied to talk you into 29er!!

my current SS ( singlespeed ) is an old custom.
    Yeah, they'd still do one, but there was the wait. Wes left much later. Ibis was well into Mojo production and into ti Mojo production by the time Wes left for Crested Butte. I'm pretty sure by the time Mojos were out, the custom was no longer an option. All were sweet riding bikes.