full susser singles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2015

full susser singles

anyone......anyone out there at al had any experience with a full suspension singlespeed??

WillWorkForTrail
    Nope. But if I was looking for one I'd start with the Lenz Milk Money or Lunch Money.

Several have fitted their rigs with a Rohloff tensioner (or similar). That would be the cheapest way to do it.

mtbr member
    If I was considering one then it would be a DMR Bolt but then I'm not in the least weight conscious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    considering i tip the scales at 210 plus, i cannot afford to be weight conscious.

SS Pusher Man
    I'd say if FS SS's were such a great idea.....you would see a whole lot more of them around.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Do a search in this, plenty of them here. Says the owner of an Ibis BowTi SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I'd say if FS SS's were such a great idea.....you would see a whole lot more of them around.
    Same could be said for full rigid, or SS in general, no? It's a niche. Some people like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by horeshack View Post
    anyone......anyone out there at al had any experience with a full suspension singlespeed??
    Yes. What would you like to know? I converted 140mm Trance to SS and raced in the single speed division at Downieville All MountIn World Championships race last year. Used a tensioner from Yess. It was ridiculously fun.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I put a YESS tensioner on my Anthem and raced XC with it. No problem and a ton of fun.full susser singles-20151010_151951600_ios.jpg
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Now can I get a pic of one with electronic front and rear lockout?

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    A couple of years ago (one of the years it was held in Pennsylvania), the Single Speed XC National Championship race was won by Seamus Powell on a full suspension Giant Anthem converted to single speed....seems like a good idea to me.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Ive run both my 2012 and 2015 Salsa Spearfish's SS. Using a slightly modified Alfine tensioner . They absolutely rock! Bummer is after 15 years SS my body wont let me do it full time . With the right frame it works great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    i am currently running an old steel kona fire mountan hardtail with a White Industries eccentric hub, pretty cool little part. you can turn any bike into a single. rigid surly fromt fork to clear a 2.5 inch front.

mtbr member
    Anyone have recommendations on chain tensioners for 142x12? I'm not sure if the Yess is compatible.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Anyone have recommendations on chain tensioners for 142x12? I'm not sure if the Yess is compatible.
    Shimano Zee rear mech.

mtbr member
    An old derailleur worked great on my full suspension set up.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Paul Component Melvin Chain Tensioner

Paul Component WORD (Wacky Off-Road Rear Device) 12◊142 Thru Axle Hub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full susser singles-img_5503.jpg  

full susser singles-img_5504.jpg  

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I'd still go with a short cage clutch mech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    Ive run both my 2012 and 2015 Salsa Spearfish's SS. Using a slightly modified Alfine tensioner . They absolutely rock! Bummer is after 15 years SS my body wont let me do it full time . With the right frame it works great.
    How are the alfines modded? Looking at going this route.
    Last edited by IPunchCholla; 11-30-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Didn't edit the autocorrect
    It's just a flesh wound!

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've got a Morpheus Skyla set up single-speed:

Woodman Bill rear hub.
    Chris King 14t SS cog/sprocket.
    Q2 chain tensioner (mounts where the derailleur would be).
    AbsoluteBlack 32t oval chainring.

Works just fine. Gearing is kinda steep for climbing, but great for getting up to speed quickly on jump trails.

mtbr member
    I always thought it would be neat to have a full suspension SS... I would definitely have to convert like people did in this thread though, because the Lenz frames are hideous.

mtbr member
    I ground off the stop that makes the arm point down. Then I put a piece of adhesive backs rubber on the chain stay ,the chain tension holds the arm right up against the chain stay . Only problem with the Alfine is the chain line can be tricky with a 142 rear hub. I always wanted to try the Q2 but my setup worked fine so didn't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    There was a guy running one at the SSKC race. He was kind enough to guide my friends and I home after the night ride in KC. He told me he built the bike just for Swope Park where the race was. Swope has some really rocky, technical areas. He must be on to something as he got 3rd in the race! Of course it helps to be fit too! I have a pic of the bike somewhere, if I can find it I'll post it up.

psycho cyclo addict
    Rigid SS with 2.4/2.25 tubeless (lower psi) wheel set for me. I'm putting my FS 29er up for sale because I ride it less than a handful of times a year anymore.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm using a Q2 tensioner on a 135x12 bike and it fits just fine. I think the derailleur hanger geometry is the same between 135 and 142 but I'm not 100% certain as I don't own a bike with a 142 rear end.

If necessary the jockey wheels could be moved inward from the frame quite a bit farther than I have them set, so I'm sure it would work if the derailleur tab is further out on a 142 rear than on a 135 rear.

There's about 3mm of room to move them outward too, but I'm pretty sure you'd need them moved inward if anything.

mtbr member
    The relationship between the freehub body and the mech hanger is the same on 135 and 142 hubs. On 142 the end caps on the hub are recessed into the dropouts 3.5mm a side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    I would definitely have to convert like people did in this thread though, because the Lenz frames are hideous.
    Fortunately, the DMR frames aren't hideous...........they look like frames should look, to my eyes anyway. Especially with nice Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti's.

full susser singles-dmr-bolt-l-drive-side-webl.jpg

Only thing is that you're limited to 27.2mm dropper post size, so usually only 100mm drop.

bike rider
    This is my new DH build and it will be SS. Like ALL of my bikes. There is a build Thread in the DH Forum. I was going to post a Build Thread here but the last time I made multiple Build Threads in multiple Forums (that they fit into) I got Flack from the Internet Police.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full susser singles-img_3848.jpg  

My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclechet View Post
    There was a guy running one at the SSKC race. He was kind enough to guide my friends and I home after the night ride in KC. He told me he built the bike just for Swope Park where the race was. Swope has some really rocky, technical areas. He must be on to something as he got 3rd in the race! Of course it helps to be fit too! I have a pic of the bike somewhere, if I can find it I'll post it up.
    For what it's worth, the winner of SSKC was on a FS Lenz Milk Money.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Here's your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers at SSKC. Henry Peat, 2nd place, was not riding the bike depicted here. Also I don't know who to give credit to for the photos but thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full susser singles-winner.jpg  

full susser singles-winner2.jpg  

full susser singles-winner1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Peat would have probably still finished 2nd on that bike. Lol! Peat was on a rigid Bocomo.

Last year I rode a Salsa Spearfish all season set up SS using a Surly Singulator. The spring wore out so I tied 2 heavy duty rubber bands together and looped them over the chain stay and passed the pulley through the loops. Worked great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    Peat would have probably still finished 2nd on that bike. Lol! Peat was on a rigid Bocomo.

Last year I rode a Salsa Spearfish all season set up SS using a Surly Singulator. The spring wore out so I tied 2 heavy duty rubber bands together and looped them over the chain stay and passed the pulley through the loops. Worked great!

Peat's a fast guy for sure and seems like a lot of fun too! He was the highest placed Speedo wearer at SSKC and was having a ball after the race.

mtbr member
    I've had my old Giant Anthem set up SS the last few years.

The Yess ETR-D should work on any bike that has a derailleur hanger.