Full suspension conversion to single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New question here. Full suspension conversion to single speed

Hi everyone. I want to ride single speed. That's the bottom line. However, I have a 2010 Superfly 100 full suspension bike (not that that's a bad thing). I was under the assumption that a full suspension could not be converted to a single speed. However, an internet search yielded a product from Yess Labs called an ETRD chain tensioner that is supposed to make converting a full suspension bike to a single speed possible, and a review I read says it works great.

I know a full suspension single speed is not in the realm of "pure" single speed, but I can't afford another bike, and I want to ride and race single speed. Does anyone know if it is possible to convert my superfly 100 to ss using this product. It would be awesome if I could.

Thanks

mtbr member

yep

It is definitely possible with a yess tensioner. A guy in the WORBA series was riding that exact set-up. This also works with the Salsa Spearfish. I think the Paul Melvin will also handle this application.
    If not bikes then what?
    I work in a shop and that influences my opinions.
    Eriksen 29er SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

... and if we just ...

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mike carmody View Post
    However, an internet search yielded a product from Yess Labs called an ETRD chain tensioner that is supposed to make converting a full suspension bike to a single speed possible, and a review I read says it works great.

I know a full suspension single speed is not in the realm of "pure" single speed, but I can't afford another bike, and I want to ride and race single speed.

Thanks
    I found an old derailleur in the parts bin to work just as well, but make less noise. A short cage Dura Ace or Ultegra would be ideal. Plus way cheaper if you have one in your parts bin.

Mine is an original XTR with teflon coated ceramic bearing wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full suspension conversion to single speed-img_0398.jpg  

Full suspension conversion to single speed-img_0392.jpg  

Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    that bike looks so good

Beer is my spirit animal
    Dude you should be able to find a complete Redline Monocog (not a flight) for less than 600 bucks, maybe even 450 if you can find an LBS trying to get rid of some older models, and for the price it's awesome! Really great introduction to 29ers, rigid, and singlespeed, all rolled in to one amazing bike!
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Most of the tensioners just have move spring tension/ better springs- but that is a sweet set-up
    If not bikes then what?
    I work in a shop and that influences my opinions.
    Eriksen 29er SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've recently converted my old 2002 Specialized Enduro full suspension into a SS. I've learned a lot from reading the blogs and from reading Sheldon Brown's advice after some "trial and error", mostly error. Before reading up on it, I just tore apart a cassette, found a good gear combination, shortened my chain to a nice taught tension and starting riding it. After 3 rides in tough terrain, the cog literally wore off its ribs on the freewheel and was spun free. I now understand that the flexing in the suspension causes the chain to tighten on every compression. So, you need a tensioner to deal with this. The best reviewed tensioners are these YES ones which are $70. I found one by Sette. I'm too new to post the link, but type sette single speed tensioner into google and you'll find it. Or you can send me a private message. It puts pressure down, which is key to full suspension and it was only $18. I've only ridden once so far, but it worked and I didn't lose the chain once. The price was right for the kind of experimentation I was doing.

mtbr member
    That's a great looking bike!

ballbuster
    I ran an old road derailleur as a SS tensioner for a while back when I was first getting my feet wet in singlespeeding. I lost my chain A LOT. It was okay, as long as I wasn't pedaling over bumpy stuff.

If you go this route, I strongly suggest some sort of bash guard and a Third Eye Chain Watcher. At least that will help keep the chain on the chainring up front. I'd imagine that even doing a front derailleur fixed in place would work to keep it under control.

Yeah, I second the Monocog 29er. There are tons out there used as well. Check Craigslist. I have a bud who just picked up a Monocog 29er Flight for $400. I got my non-flight MC29er brand new for $500 tax and all 4 years ago. Yeah, the price went up a bit since then...

Apr 2007
    If you decide you like FSSS, look at the Lenz Milk Money.

Category Winner
    YESS ETR-D worked just fine for me. A bit noisy, but only one chain drop over a period of @ 9 months.

WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

big legs, small brains

One more post to 5000! Get some Dicky!
    Kyle

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hello,

I am going to convert an old Kona Bear into single speed.

I have no idea what gearing to use. I will use the bike for commuting and also in the trails. It is not very slopy around where I live, near Paris (France) in fact!

If any one can indicate where to start and from there I will accommodate?

Best,

Alexandre

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is a wealth of information here....

Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions

mtbr member
    The classic 26" SS MTB gearing is 2:1, 32/16 for example. For commuting and light trail use a better starting point is 34/16 or 34/15.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks. Gonna try it out soon. Waiting for a half link chain to finish my set up.

A.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Lenz MilkMoney

Not a cheap option. But I knew exaxtly what I wanted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full suspension conversion to single speed-lenz2.jpg  

Ohne Jangschalltung

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is sweet!!