full squish ss chain quest- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

full squish ss chain quest

Hey guys....first off, thanks for the inspiration - I took my 1st ss ride today and it was great! Reinvigorated to ride again!!!
    My Quest: I built a full suspension ss rig using a push down tensioner. No probs so far but I think as the susp compresses the tensioner hits the bottom of the chain stay when I'm seated and hammer into g-outs. The rear was not nearly as active (as when it was geared) on other sections but I stiffened the shock up considerably due to so much standing. Thinking of adding enough links to get the tensioner a bit less than 1/2 thru it's "throw"(at least not pulled all the way forward)....am I headed in the right direction? Is there a formula for determining chain slack based on travel? Any other advice/concerns? It is a 4 bar linkage setup for what it's worhth. Thanks in advance!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What is this 'suspension' device you speak of?

ballbuster

suspension SS?!?

Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    Hey guys....first off, thanks for the inspiration - I took my 1st ss ride today and it was great! Reinvigorated to ride again!!!
    My Quest: I built a full suspension ss rig using a push down tensioner. No probs so far but I think as the susp compresses the tensioner hits the bottom of the chain stay when I'm seated and hammer into g-outs. The rear was not nearly as active (as when it was geared) on other sections but I stiffened the shock up considerably due to so much standing. Thinking of adding enough links to get the tensioner a bit less than 1/2 thru it's "throw"(at least not pulled all the way forward)....am I headed in the right direction? Is there a formula for determining chain slack based on travel? Any other advice/concerns? It is a 4 bar linkage setup for what it's worhth. Thanks in advance!!!!
    That is kind of like converting a 1975 Porsche 911 to automatic transmission.

If you really want to do FSSS, you need to find a frame with concentric BB or a URT suspension frame.

AFAIK, the only concentric frames made these days are Lenz Sport and the Kona A. There was a Schwinn FS frame that had a concentric BB pivot that was made until like 2000 or so.

Unified rear triangle frames are where the BB shell is directly attached to the rear swingarm. I think Haro still makes one.

Instead of using a tensioner, you might wanna try an old beater road derailleur fixed in place with a short piece of shifter cable, and run it as tightly as you can get away with. You will probably still need some way of keeping the chain on the ring up front.

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    What is this 'suspension' device you speak of?

mtbr member
    haro makes something of a URT, but it actuates the shock like a VPP linkage. also, the Solid Bikes Flair has a main pivot concentric with the BB and has horizontal dropouts, and one of Cove's offerings has the main pivot concentric with the BB. but then again, both of those are slopestyle bikes. my advice is just to lock out a short cage derailleur so it can't try to shift, then run a chainguide up front, or maybe a BMX chainring that has a guard on either side of the teeth. I saw a few that had guards on one side build in, and one of those was designed to be able to use an optional guard on the other side also. that'll probably keep the chain on well enough. if it doesn't, get a box chain guide
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i've heard that some use a old derailleur to achieve constant tension, iirc i think there are other spring loaded tensioners that'll work too (singleateor{?}). 4 links chainstay length is too variable for a fixie type setup. you should theoretically try to clearance it to when then chainstay is at maximium length to minimum, this means removing your shock and cycling through travel. and adjusting chain length so your tensioner doesnt hit either end of its usable range. good luck =]

What's that smell?
    Sadly, the A is not coming out of Kona any more, but allow me to attention whore it up and post my dual drive full sus kick azz blinglespeed:

Your welcome.

mtbr member
    You are not headed in the right direction. You need a two pulley tensioner -- Paul Melvin, Rohloff or just a plain RD. A single pulley push down tensioner is not going to cut it. They are not designed to do what you are trying to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    You are not headed in the right direction. You need a two pulley tensioner -- Paul Melvin, Rohloff or just a plain RD. A single pulley push down tensioner is not going to cut it. They are not designed to do what you are trying to do.
    x2.

You can also try a YESS sus tensioner. I've got a brand new one for sale that won't fit my Rohloff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks

Thanks for all of your advice......

mtbr member
    Decompress your rear shock all the way. Pull the chain as tight as possible with the tensioner. Should set you cool. I have set up full sus 1 speeds for people before and this usually worked.

Members who have read this thread: 0