Frostbike roll call- Mtbr.com
    More beer please

Frostbike roll call

Who's all going to QBP's open house this weekend? I'll be there Sunday. My main mission is to check out the Pugsley. Any Gnome Festers going? Martini, Ernesto?

markybrue
    Jan 2005

count me in!

Quote Originally Posted by brewboy
    Who's all going to QBP's open house this weekend? I'll be there Sunday. My main mission is to check out the Pugsley. Any Gnome Festers going? Martini, Ernesto?
    Well you know I will be there!!

Witty McWitterson
    Nope. This'll be the first time I'm missing it in years. I'm bummed to say the least. Ernesto knows why.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Nope. This'll be the first time I'm missing it in years. I'm bummed to say the least. Ernesto knows why.
    sorry Marty.

Nah, I ain't goin.

More beer please

Damn

Too bad you two can't make it. I was hopin' to feel some gnome love. Everything ok martini?

Witty McWitterson
    check yer email. I'm toying with having you buy me a WTB EXI, want to? Just one of 'em. I know it won't fit on the rear.
    Just a regular guy.

Harrumph
    I just got back from the first day, the Pugsley was pretty cool. Something I wasn't expecting was the V-brake mounts, I don't think you could run a big enough tire and a Large Marge and still have clearance for the cable. I wondered how much of the "snow float" is counter acted by the mass of the bike. Make sure to go by the Sigma Sport table and mooch your "Guiness Cycyling Team" T-shirt. Not a whole lot of SS related stuff. The exception being Surley and Salsa, but they didn't have anything really new. I did check out the Juan Solo and the DosNiner. Scandium doesn't strike me as the best material for a soft tail. And if I didn't order an Explosif on Friday I'd have been seriously looking at the Juan, a little skeptical about the carbon seatstays though.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    Talked with the guys manning the Surlys about the Pugsly. Mentioned something about possible July availability. Hmmmmnnnn, something about the idea of building up a possible snow bike in July. The production fork will evidently have removable bosses. The sample did not. The idea of even keeping them on the frame is the remote chance someone would want to run cantilevers. If you ran your straddle cable high enough, I guess you would have clearance. Talk about a niche, snow bike with cantilever brakes. Hadn't thought about that combo before. Options cannot hurt, but I personally would have simply left them off.

Mmmm... Pugsly.

Recovering couch patato
    Pugley, so incredibly useless where I live, but such a cool idea to build one up!
    Some V's are a bit more equal than others (longer arms), so may offer a bit more clearance. Also, the canti studs might be placed a bit higher up, to force pads to the lowest possible position?
    And, even cooler, with some handwork one could made his own V's, well longer than normal, and Avid Levers in the most-pull position.
    With such wide rims, is the tire height even all that much greater than with regualr rims and 2.5's?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski