Front tire size for 29er SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Front tire size for 29er SS

I am going to have my new SJ 29er SS converted to tubeless. The current front tire is 2bliss ready but is only a 2.0. I'd like to go bigger.

For those with 29" singlespeeds, what are you running in the front and what exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of going to a larger tire?

mtbr member
    Rampage 2.3.

Having a bigger tire on the front goes back to the old school bmx style of riding. Yeah the tire will be heavier but you won't notice a little bit more weight up front.

The bigger tire also gives you a feeling of a little bit of suspension especially if you ride a rigid SS. I run the Rampage on my SS and my 1 x 9.

The Rampage is a great tire because it rarely washes out and runs great tubeless on Stan's rims. I have ridden it with 24-28psi air pressure and it does everything well except soft sand.

Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by rtcage
    ...what exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of going to a larger tire?
    My observations are all largely subjective, but I've moved to a smaller front tire. I bought into the "bigger front tire" for passive suspension reasons, and there is some truth to that. However, I found that many of the singletrack trails I was riding were too narrow for the 2.4 Racing Ralph I had -- I was simply hitting more rocks when that tire was on the front than when a 2.2 (but narrower than that) Ignitor was on the front. I found that in contrast to being a smoother ride the larger, cushier tire was in fact making the ride more harsh and I also had less control. The sweet spot for me -- and it's plenty rocky around here -- seems to be in the 2.1 to 2.2 size, but because of the random sizes listed on tires that doesn't mean much and it seems to be tire specific. So I guess I mean a tire can be too big, regardless of weight.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

Birthday Collector
    FWIW, I am a fan of the larger front tire too - but which tire depends on your terrain and style. I have been running Resolution Pro 2.3" for about 2 years and love them - but no longer made, so when I have to replace it will likely be something similar. Might try the Ardent 2.4 or the new Spec Purgatory 2.4. I like the Captain 2.2 on the rear, but not up front. I wish that WTB would make a real-depth 2.5" Weirwolf for the 29"... The LTK is great for some conditions, but in loose stuff I want more knobs.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

is buachail foighneach me
    Stout is my favorite front tire off road, rigid or suspended. I've also run ignitors up front, and while I would never recommend them as a rear tire due to the tissue paper sidewalls, i thought they were great as a front tire.

mtbr member

with....?

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Stout is my favorite front tire off road, rigid or suspended. I've also run ignitors up front, and while I would never recommend them as a rear tire due to the tissue paper sidewalls, i thought they were great as a front tire.
    Sean, what do you pair the Stout with in the rear? I have a new bike coming that comes with 2.3 Stouts, How is it as a rear?

TIA

trail rat
    Racing Ralph 2.4, Rampage 2.35, Weirwolf 2.55 lt, Mountain King 2.4, Ardent 2.25 all on a rigid SS. All good, depends on trails and conditions and weather as to which I prefer.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    I've been running 2.2 Kendas since April and so far it is a great size for rigid SS, enough volume to absorb rocks and roots, but not too wide.

Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    .... I like the Captain 2.2 on the rear, but not up front...
    Why not in the front?

My Nevegal 29x2.2 are good on rear running reverse direction for climbing traction, but it washes out way too easy on hardpack and loose over hardpack. Suggestions please. Want to keep the same volume tire, but more lateral traction, faster rolling and maybe a little less weight.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-19-2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member

+

Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Racing Ralph 2.4, Rampage 2.35, Weirwolf 2.55 lt, Mountain King 2.4, Ardent 2.25 all on a rigid SS. All good, depends on trails and conditions and weather as to which I prefer.
    I would have to agree; obviously dependent upon trail location/condition. I would also have to say that the New WTB Kodiak & Dissent are pretty great Fronts for Rigid SS riding (especially with the NINER Carbon Fork to take some weight off). The 2.4 Ardent should be a nice ride as well.

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

Members who have read this thread: 0