Freewheels__is there a middle ground?- Mtbr.com
    VENI VEDI BIKI

Freewheels__is there a middle ground?

I am looking for a new freewheel. I cannot stand the clunking from my shimano and other cheaper offerings. But, I dont want to spend $90 on a white indus. either. Is there a "middle of the road" option?
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    this thing looks pretty cool:

GT Ratchet Freewheel at Danscomp

but they don't make one large enough for me or i'd try it.

that said i am a CHEAP bastard and while the eno freewheel is expensive it lasts forever. i have probably trashed 2 front rings and 6-8 chains using mine and the freewheels teeth still basically look brand new. i dunno what steel they use to make it but they really should make chainrings out of it as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

probably not

I had a shimano freewheel and it was pretty quiet for a couple of years as long as I oiled it after wet rides. I don't know why, but I replaced it with another $25 shimano FW and that one creaked incessantly. couldn't get it quiet. Spent $75 on a White Ind. FW and that was the best $75 I ever spent on my bike. One of the things I really like about SSing is the lack of noise, so I would say it is a very worthwhile upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ACS Crossfire freewheel. Has a few more points of engagement than the Klaws and way nicer bearings. Have had one on the commuter for a couple years, no noises or issues. I think they run $25 or so.

mtbr member
    I really want to try that GT one, I've heard good things about them. I just need a FW hub first...I'm running cassette.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have been commuting on a crossfire for over 2 years. Sometimes its left in the rain. It seems to be going good with some surface rust. I get a small amount on clunking(like once a week), but not enough to warrant replacing.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Dinner for wolves
    Check out tartybikes.com. There are some high engagement trials freewheels that may come in a wee tad cheaper than a WI. I will say this, though, the $90 WI is the best you can buy and enjoys a great reputation. Why settle for a middle of the road FW and save, what $20-$40. The WI will be the best $90you spend on a bike part, IMHO.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had a crossfire, it died a sad death after around 2k miles.

My white ind has been going strong for much much longer. I got mine used for around $40 then later bought a 22 tooth cog from WI so now I have both the 20 tooth and the 22 tooth and with a pin spanner it is really quick to swap the cogs. The WI is quality and clearly built to better tolerances as compared to the crossfire.

mtbr member
    Brick Lane Bikes

I have this on my road SS, works smoothly and sounds nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ird has a nice one, costs more than shimano, not as much as White Industries. i took it apart just see inside. it has four pawls, which is nice. i was hoping for cartridge bearings, but i guess not at that price. when i re-built it i used some wet lube on the pawls and packed a nice layer of Phil's Waterproof Grease around the inside/outside bearings. i put it on in the spring, and have rode a season on it, off road and pulling a chariot. its still good. my shimano ones gummed up in the winter and left me spinning in place at some intersections. i wanted to try the IRD over the winter, but recently switched to some deore hubs. guess i'll see how a shimano freehub takes winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    this is the one, i guess they have "sealed" bearings like shimano does. sealed yes, cartridge no.
    Single Speed Freewheel

Members who have read this thread: 0