Freewheels: Shimano vs. ENO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Freewheels: Shimano vs. ENO

So, I need a new freewheel.

Shimano single speed freewheel - $14
    ENO single speed freewheel - $79.99
    (prices taken from Webcyclery.com)

Can someone, who has used both, tell me if the ENO is worth the extra $65.99? I've used ACS & Shimano in the past. The ACS sucked & met with a quick, yet painful death. The Shimano have been ok, though the seals are tight enough to turn the crankset.

BTW - Both are available with 17 teeth, which is what I need.

Opinions, please.
    You gonna ride that?

"Mr. Britannica"

I'd say YES

While I like the stealthiness of Brand S FWs, they seem to crap out at the most inopportune times..... like right before a race or big ride. So I'm am always left wondering... do I need to install a new one before races? And risk getting a F'ed up one that causes my chain to jump (this can really F up a race when it happens 2-3 times). When my FW stash is used up I am getting a White Ind. My LBS has it for $69. Might take a couple of years to even out the cost (3-4 FWs), but peace of mind is worth something to me.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister

Can someone, who has used both, tell me if the ENO is worth the extra $65.99? I've used ACS & Shimano in the past. The ACS sucked & met with a quick, yet painful death. The Shimano have been ok, though the seals are tight enough to turn the crankset.

Opinions, please.
    ENO! No comparison! I have used Shimano, ACS and the ENO. I went through 2-3 "cheap" freewheels a year and they needed constant lubing in wet weather.

Been using the same ENO for more than a year and it has been maintenance-free. The seals are a tad tight when new, fine with use. I like the soft "whirr" sound, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Both !

Use ENO for the freewheel that is the perfect tooth count or one that has to be reliable; use shimano for experimenting with different ratios. the shimanos are fine for a while...

I am Doctor Remulak
    Can you change the cog when you want to change gears, or do you need multiple ENO's?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    ENO! No comparison! I have used Shimano, ACS and the ENO. I went through 2-3 "cheap" freewheels a year and they needed constant lubing in wet weather.

Been using the same ENO for more than a year and it has been maintenance-free. The seals are a tad tight when new, fine with use. I like the soft "whirr" sound, too.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Although I have not heard it from White Industries, some have said that you can buy just the teeth and change them out. I have no idea how easy it will be, but maybe changing your front chainring will be less of a chore?

ps- I have taken the plunge for an ENO freewheel and I think it's worth it for the reasons already mentioned by others.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Can you change the cog when you want to change gears, or do you need multiple ENO's?

blame me for missed rides
    A bit off-topic:

Does anyone know the size(s) of that white ind trials freewheel on webcyclery?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Although I have not heard it from White Industries, some have said that you can buy just the teeth and change them out. I have no idea how easy it will be, but maybe changing your front chainring will be less of a chore?

ps- I have taken the plunge for an ENO freewheel and I think it's worth it for the reasons already mentioned by others.
    Much easier to swap the chainring or whole freewheel. While it is not too difficult to tear down and reassemble the ENO I would not want to do it every time I wanted to change gearing.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

formerly Giantxc

I second Cygnus's approach

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    Use ENO for the freewheel that is the perfect tooth count or one that has to be reliable; use shimano for experimenting with different ratios. the shimanos are fine for a while...
    and am currently doing the same thing. 17 tooth ENO for general use, 16 tooth ACS for really flat trails or times I just want to push harder. I can't stand shimano freewheels, they seem to get corrupted and gritty easier than anything else out there and I don't feel like pulling it off after every ride to soak it in motor oil.

cut like the fog.
    ENO definitely.

Depending on where you ride, expect to tear through at least two freewheels at the worst possible time. I blew through 5 shimanos last year before finally going to the ENO.

I've since gone to a King but for the extra cash definitely get the ENO.

b.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

I've had great luck with Shimano but.

I just took off the Shimano that has been on my bike for about two years.That's good value for a fifteen dollar part.It started skipping and I couldn't revive it or trust it.
    Freewheels take a little bit of on the bike maintenance to keep them going.I like the idea of parts that require little or no maintenance and will stand up to the test of time.

I will be going with the White Ind.once I use up the freewheels that I have.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    ENO definitely.

Depending on where you ride, expect to tear through at least two freewheels at the worst possible time. I blew through 5 shimanos last year before finally going to the ENO.

I've since gone to a King but for the extra cash definitely get the ENO.

b.
    5 freewheels in a year!
    How many miles you riding?

I dunno if I'm just not cranking as hard as you guys, or the mild cali weather is easier on equipment, or maybe it's just a matter of time. But I've not had any of the freewheel woes you guys are talking about (knocks on veneered MDF.) I've had the same 17t ( running 34x17) Shimano freewheel on my 1x1 since I built it up about a year ago. No problems yet. Probably only put in about 30 - 50 mi./week off-road though.. Admittedly not a whole lotta mileage. The fixie and the road-bike seem to see the most saddle-time these days...

-Trevor

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Not knocking Cal...

...but you guys have more consistently beautiful weather compared to the Mid-Atlantic (where I live) and many other places I've visited. The only reason I don't live there is because it's expensive (at least that's my impression).

With the rain and cold weather that the rest of the U.S. has to deal with, it's no wonder that our parts wear out faster. But maybe with all the replacement stuff we have to buy, it'll balance out the cost of living?

Many years ago when I bothered reading Mountain Bike Action and Mountain Bike, I'd laugh at many of the product reviews. Sure, that uber-bling part is superlight...but with no seals, how long is it going to last outside of sunny Cal? Case in point: my Paul Motolite Brakes have no dust boot. On wet or muddier rides, so much mud would creep up the noodle, rendering it useless when it inevitably jams.

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    5 freewheels in a year!
    How many miles you riding?

I dunno if I'm just not cranking as hard as you guys, or the mild cali weather is easier on equipment, or maybe it's just a matter of time. But I've not had any of the freewheel woes you guys are talking about (knocks on veneered MDF.) I've had the same 17t ( running 34x17) Shimano freewheel on my 1x1 since I built it up about a year ago. No problems yet. Probably only put in about 30 - 50 mi./week off-road though.. Admittedly not a whole lotta mileage. The fixie and the road-bike seem to see the most saddle-time these days...

-Trevor

I am Doctor Remulak

Thanks shiggy

I suspected as much, but wanted to verify that you could change to cog if you so desired. Seems like the ENO is a very nice freewheel, maybe after I destroy my ACS freewheels I'll pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Much easier to swap the chainring or whole freewheel. While it is not too difficult to tear down and reassemble the ENO I would not want to do it every time I wanted to change gearing.

try driving your car less

depends

Quote Originally Posted by Spudmeister

Opinions, please.
    I just got an ENO freewheel because it came with an ENO hub. I think it's worth the extra cash if you have a high dollar bike. But a $80 freewheel on a $200 bike is retardo. But I think alot of folks ride a cheapy freewheel, like SS, the freewheel either siezes or goes free, and then replace it with a ENO. My experience with the shimano has been that they have inconsistent quality. I will ride one for months. Then I changed it for a different gear, and the new one crapped out in like a week! Then I put the old one back on and rode it for another few months. both with no maintenance. it's wierd.
    Only boring people get bored.

Medium?

Heard from White Ind

I asked, and they will sell the teeth for $20 for SS, more for Ti. Mine is about ready for teeth after a year.