Freewheel removal tool opinion.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,378

    Freewheel removal tool opinion.

    I am going to be removing a freewheel and I need to get a tool to do the job. I did a search and I see the ACS freewheel spanner wrench is quite popular, as well as using the park tool and a bench vise. I already have a 4.5" vise mounted on my workbench, is this sufficient for the job? How about the ACS wrench? Does it work better than the removal tool and a vise? I know there is lots of experience on this board, given the choice, which would you choose? Thanks.

    Brian

  2. #2
    No Justice = No Peace
    Reputation: Lutarious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,513

    I have both

    I like the Park tool in a vice, but I am not always close to my bench, and it's hard to get the bench and the vice in my car, so I use the ACS tool, which is perfectly adequate.

    Use Anti Seize compound on the new freewheel. A LOT OF IT. Coat every surface liberally, then wipe it down so it doesn't get on everything you touch for the next year or so. regular grease is not what you want. Use anti-seize compound.

    You will thank me. You can send me money if you feel especially grateful. PM for the address. I take paypal
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

  3. #3
    Am I getting too bulky?
    Reputation: Bikehigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    800
    If you have a Redline MonoCog, with the factory sealed bearing hub, the ACS tool won't work. The cup in the middle of the tool isn't deep enough to accomodate the bearings, and the tab's on the tool can't mate to the notches in the freewheel. The Park tool works. Not sure about other hubs that might give the ACS tool a problem.

    As far as the bench vise goes, the lbs down the road destroyed their bench vise trying to get my freewhell off once, and was a big shop vise. It took me four long burps with my impact wrench back in my own shop at home to get the freewheel loose. And yes the threads had been liberally greased prior to assembly, but I also weigh 220 and put a lot of torque on the drivetrain. Even if the ACS tool did fit, I doubt it would ever have had enough leverage to budge my freewheel. I'd go with the Park tool and the vise. If you have access to an impact wrench, you're golden.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    242
    I've never been disapoined by the ACS spanner. its long enough to get some good leveredge for the toughies.

    and its steel, so on one really stuck one, i used a hammer to bang on it until the freewheel started to come loose. and both the spanner and hammer fit into the car.

  5. #5
    Retro Grouch
    Reputation: aka brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,091

    3 part tool..

    Park freewheel tool, 12" adjustable wrench and a 3' piece of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe. Use the QR or axle nuts to hold the tool in place and put the wheel against a 4x4 post. If your freewheel has been on for any length of time you will hear some spokes twang before it comes loose.

    1G1G, Brad

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    877

    same here...

    Park Tool bolted on, lightly. Socket for Park Tool and 3' breaker bar. Works everytime without assistance.

    MC


    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Park freewheel tool, 12" adjustable wrench and a 3' piece of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe. Use the QR or axle nuts to hold the tool in place and put the wheel against a 4x4 post. If your freewheel has been on for any length of time you will hear some spokes twang before it comes loose.

    1G1G, Brad

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    252
    I can't count how many times I've come across my co-workers banging on the end of a spanner, trying to get a FW off. I tell them to quiet down, grab the cheater pipe and calmly torque it off.

    The few times the pipe hasn't worked this came out:
    http://www.parktool.com/products/big...5727_17659.jpg

    Impact wrenches are for losers

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    354

    acs freewheel tool plus rubber mallet

    Quote Originally Posted by biotruth
    I've never been disapoined by the ACS spanner. its long enough to get some good leveredge for the toughies.

    and its steel, so on one really stuck one, i used a hammer to bang on it until the freewheel started to come loose. and both the spanner and hammer fit into the car.
    I haven't had any troubles with the acs tool and a large rubber mallet. Put tool on lightly put axle nut on hit tool with hammer 1-3 times, tool will fall down when it breaks and loosens it's bond. I guess you could also put a cheater pipe over the end of the acs tool and do it that way also

  9. #9
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,378

    I went w/park tool and bench vise.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonassterling
    I can't count how many times I've come across my co-workers banging on the end of a spanner, trying to get a FW off. I tell them to quiet down, grab the cheater pipe and calmly torque it off.

    The few times the pipe hasn't worked this came out:
    http://www.parktool.com/products/big...5727_17659.jpg

    Impact wrenches are for losers
    I removed a ACS freewheel that had been on there a couple years and also removed a WI freewheel that had been on a wheel for about a year. I found that I had to really crank down on my vise to hold the park tool secure enough, but it worked fine. The advise about leaving the tire on the rim is good info, made the job much easier. Thanks for all the opinions and advise.

    Brian

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,087

    One word: ENO

    The ENO freewheel removal tool can be used with any freewheel and is the shiznit for getting them off.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.