Freewheel Removal (and swap)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Freewheel Removal (and swap)

I have changed a cassette on my geared CX. It used a shimano cassette and I have the appropriate lockring removal tool and chain whip.

I want to change the freewheel on my SS to a smaller cog and it uses an ACS freewheel. Do I need another type of lockring removal tool? If so, what does it look like?

I couldn't find anything obvious to look at on Sheldon's page. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place?

mtbr member

Yes, you need a different tool...

... it looks sorta cone shaped and has 4 "teeth" that match the indents on your SS freewheel. You bolt it on using your axle bolts (if you have QRs I don't know what to suggest) and then use either a big azz wrench or, better yet, you secure it in a vise and turn it like a big ol' truck driver steering wheel.

If you didn't sufficiently grease it or apply anti-seize pre-install they can really tough to remove. Park Tool makes the part and I'm sure your LBS has it.

I've found the vice to work best for maximum leverage. I've used long adjustable wrenches too but it can take some wicked fierce elbow grease to get those things to budge...plus that wrench can slip under heavy force leaving you with [insert gruesome hand injury].

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I have changed a cassette on my geared CX. It used a shimano cassette and I have the appropriate lockring removal tool and chain whip.

I want to change the freewheel on my SS to a smaller cog and it uses an ACS freewheel. Do I need another type of lockring removal tool? If so, what does it look like?

I couldn't find anything obvious to look at on Sheldon's page. Maybe I'm not looking at the right place?
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    ... it looks sorta cone shaped and has 4 "teeth" that match the indents on your SS freewheel. You bolt it on using your axle bolts (if you have QRs I don't know what to suggest) and then use either a big azz wrench or, better yet, you secure it in a vise and turn it like a big ol' truck driver steering wheel.

If you didn't sufficiently grease it or apply anti-seize pre-install they can really tough to remove. Park Tool makes the part and I'm sure your LBS has it.

I've found the vice to work best for maximum leverage. I've used long adjustable wrenches too but it can take some wicked fierce elbow grease to get those things to budge...plus that wrench can slip under heavy force leaving you with [insert gruesome hand injury].

Sean
    Cool, thanks! I think I can understand that. I've seen mention of bolting the remove to the axle, now I know why. Don't have a vise, so I'll see if I can do it w/ my big pipe wrench.

Also, looks like nashbar had a BMX lock ring removal tool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I just saw it done this weekend for the 1st time

I had the LBS change mine this weekend. The mechanic used the skewer to keep pressure on the wiget - to avoid stripping. Then used a vice for leverage. It took two guys to get it loose.

The man who fell to earth
    You may have problems getting your freewheel off using manual methods...freewheels are notorious for getting stuck, and I mean STUCK. You may especially have trouble if you dont have a vise, as the freestyle wrench method often results in the wrench and/or tool slipping off and skinning your knuckles and/or boogering up the freewheel tool slots making it even more difficult to get it off.

One easy method (the easiest I know of) is to simply take your whole wheel with the freewheel tool to the local auto garage/tire place. Have a mechanic there zip your freewheel off using a pneumatic impact gun (the pistol looking things used to remove lug nuts). This method works great and will remove a freewheel usually in less than a second. Just make sure you (and the mechanic) wear eye protection because the freewheel tool is probably not impact rated, so there is some possibility of it shattering (although that's never happened to me and I've done it lots of times).

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder

King Pin

... and if we just ...

I still use a 12" Crescent wrench and the stock muffler from my XR600 as a breaker bar.

Works every time, smooth like butta'. If'n you grease it up a bit, any pipe or ?? used as a breaker will make it come loose quite easily...in my experience.