Freewheel Advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Freewheel Advice

On my main ride I have a free hub. However I ride a BMX cruiser as my townie and it has a Shimano freewheel. This thing is almost completely silent and has a lot of drag. When I spin the front wheel it moves nicely, however when I do this with the rear wheel it hardly moves. This is not the bike I typically dump much money into. Is there a freewheel out there that is more efficient without being $100 like White Industries? Some nice sound with a lot of POE would be nice as well. I've spent time searching this and I'm on my second freewheel now. So any advice from other's experience would be great. Thanks in advance!
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    first of all- is it the hub bearings or the freewheel that is causing the drag? make sure you isolate the problem first.

you can flush out and lube a freewheel that is sluggish. most people remove them and throw them away when they stop working, but I always give a freewheel a second chance rather than throw it away at the first sign of wear. it's best to remove the freewheel before you do this so you don't contaminate the hub bearings, which is easy with the right tool and a bit of muscle. try that and if that does not help ... get a better freewheel (which someone else will have to recommend because I don't know).

mtbr member
    I will definitely do this before I replace it. Thanks for the advice. If anyone else has experience with an inexpensive freewheel that they've been happy with I'd love to hear about it.

mtbr member
    Used WI Eno, rebuildable. I just bought a barely used one a couple weeks ago for a ridiculously low price, no I won't say how much. The deals are out there, but it will take some attention and time to find them.

I've been using Shimano up to this point, basically for the price, and it's done just fine. It's needing some of the aforementioned turtle love at this point, but that's still a few seasons of use in MN.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    The GT Ratchet freewheel is decent and is relatively cheap. It has instant lockup too.

Sent from my GT-I8200L using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've actually only been using this for a year in dry weather. This is not the bike that gets big miles or ridden in inclement weather.
    Some great ideas here. Thank you all for taking the time to help.
    18" rigid Unit

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    it sounds like the drag could be in your Hub not the freewheel, try to remove chain and spin just to be sure, on the freewheel question White industries are the only ones that are not disposable so over time they do pay for themselves.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Yes, I haven't done that yet but I will. The GT has a good sound to it, but that's a great point about White Industries.
    18" rigid Unit

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    I should have noted that if you rotate wheel forward (in stand with chain on) and your cranks turn, there is too much drag
    I've been inside too long.

is buachail foighneach me
    My WI trials freewheel has long outlasted any other freewheel I've ever owned. Definitely worth the investment.

mtbr member
    I might be about to build a FW hub, and I have to ask: WI freewheels looks great, but if you can't get a WI for whatever reason, what's the second-best freewheel out there?

secondly, I would want a 20t, but some only go to 18t. perhaps I could make a 18t work with a smaller chainring or an oval ring. how might a 32/18t with an oval front compare to a 32t round ring with a 20t cog?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I can recommend ACS for a less expensive freewheel. I will upgrade the freewheel on my trail bike to a White when this one craps out, but it still going strong enough. I'll continue to use them on the townie/cruiser. I do hear the GT has excellent engagement for a cheaper freewheel, but can't say anything for longevity or durability.