Free wheel ss conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Free wheel ss conversion

So I have read the FAQ and sheldons website and i still dont exactly understand on my SS project I have a freewheel and i dont really understand what all i have to do to make it work.
    Buy a BMX freewheel
    redish the wheel? why?
    also do i need a new crankset or can i just keep my stock 3 cog on the front and just set it to the middle 36t cog?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A local bike shop will be able to better serve you seeing your bike in person rather than a bunch of internet dorks. There are many methods of going SS depending on how much money you wish to spend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If your bike is 8spd in the rear and up, you likely have a freehub and NOT a freewheel. If this is the case, all you need is some cassette spacers and a nice cog. I recommend Surly, easy to find online. If it is an old wheel and really has a multi-speed freewheel, you will have to get the wheel rebuilt and you will need a BMX style freewheel.
    As far as a crank, you can run just the middle chainring for now. When you get the money, you can get a singlespeed specific chainring for the middle and chainguard for the big ring. And you can take off the granny.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    on my ss build I'm running a 32t on the center chain ring position, and a bmx free wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Its and old trek 800 its a riveted 3 cog front crank and 7 speed free wheel (i know this for a fact)

Pea-Ta did you redish the wheel?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by infested View Post
    Its and old trek 800 its a riveted 3 cog front crank and 7 speed free wheel (i know this for a fact)

Pea-Ta did you redish the wheel?
    You probably won't have to re-dish the wheel, but you could make the wheel a little stronger by re-spacing the axle and re-dishing it.
    If your chainrings are riveted together, just leave it that way and run the chain on the middle ring.
    A bmx freewheel will work fine.

mtbr member
    if you don't re-space your axle and dish your wheel accordingly, your chainline will end up looking like this (on the left), and dishing the wheel to match the chainline will put the tire at the center of the frame.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    if you don't re-space your axle and dish your wheel accordingly, your chainline will end up looking like this (on the left), and dishing the wheel to match the chainline will put the tire at the center of the frame.
    That's not a freewheel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    No, I did not. With no modifications my bike was ride able, the chain like was about 6mm off though. I did end up getting a used 110mm BB and a freewheel spacer, for $20 at the LBS. Now chain line is spot on.