Free bike Finished- Mtbr.com
    Currently in Exile

Free bike Finished

I got the SS conversion kit in yesterday and spent a few hours finishing up the Cannondales SS bike that I have been building.

The singulator spring was broken (as the seller stated) so I am using it in the push up mode with zip ties to hold it in place. Sure it is getto, but it works! I also had to break apart the old cassette and use the spacers in lieu of one of the spacers provided in the kit. I cut down the old bent seat post and it fit in with no problems. I even have almost 10 cm of post in the seattube! I am keeping the flat pedals on for the winter, SPDs go in spring.

I like the black look of the bike. Thanks to all on the SS board for inspiration and guidance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You did a great job with that, mate. It really does look nice! Do let us know how it rides.

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    You did a great job with that, mate. It really does look nice! Do let us know how it rides.
    Agreed, that's a nice bike! Those have always been my favourite SSers, the old fully rigid converts.

Currently in Exile

1st real ride impressions

Ok, just got back from putting a few miles on the bike, and this is what I was able to take away from it.

1. I NEED to replace the old brake pads. The ones on there right now are glazed over and make some awful noises when braking. Not only that, but the braking performance is much weaker than what it should be. Even with cantilever brakes.

2. I need to learn how to ride! I found myself spinning out and lifting my feet off of the pedals over simple obsticals (sp). I will have to re-learn how to ride on flat pedals for now. Either that or just put the SPD's on it.

3. Wow, is this thing QUIET! It makes almost no noise at all. No chain rattle, no suspension linkage squeaks, just the sound of knobbies on dirt.

4. Hey, this handles great! The stearing is noticeably more positive than with a suspension fork. I am not saying that my bikes with suspension forks handle like pigs, it is just that the rigid fork feels more positive. This is the closest that I have come to the handling of my road bike on the trail. This bike handles very quickly, and insists that you pay attention. Have an attention lapse, and this thing is going to let you know about it.

All in all, I am very pleased with the way things turned out. I can see this bike taking over alot of the jobs that my hardtail has been doing. I can also see this being my #1 nasty weather ride as the simplicity of the drivetrain just makes it more reliable. All of the parts that I installed work as advertised! I just hope that I can get the brakes sorted out. If I can't get the Canti's to work, then it will be time to look at some V-brakes for it.

Thanks again for all of the info and encouragement!
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Nice! I dig stripped down old rigids.

The Nitto Moustache bars would look (and feel) good on that old rigid.

Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenspokes
    I got the SS conversion kit in yesterday and spent a few hours finishing up the Cannondales SS bike that I have been building.

The singulator spring was broken (as the seller stated) so I am using it in the push up mode with zip ties to hold it in place. Sure it is getto, but it works! I also had to break apart the old cassette and use the spacers in lieu of one of the spacers provided in the kit. I cut down the old bent seat post and it fit in with no problems. I even have almost 10 cm of post in the seattube! I am keeping the flat pedals on for the winter, SPDs go in spring.

I like the black look of the bike. Thanks to all on the SS board for inspiration and guidance!
    Nice work, but I couldn't help thinking that when your chain snaps, either your sternum or your nuts is/are going to get punched in by that pointy stem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nice bike, a couple of suggestions

For the brakes. have you tried sanding the pads yet? Most of the time sanding off the glaze seems to make them good as new for me. Emery cloth works really well for this.

I would reccomend throwing on spds. I pull up on my pedals a lot when I'm cranking up hills. You'll be able to climb a lot more with clips.

Nice lookin bike
    YO MAMA

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    ok lost the first post due to a computer blip.

cool bike. nice old skewl look.

3 comments:

1. stem looks whacky, but if it serves its purpose, ride on.

2. although that zip tie theoretically shouldnt feel any load from the chain, it is gonna break one day. zip ties look and feel pretty tough, but in the elements they are pretty wimpy. a good easy ounce of prevention would be dropping a spare zip tie or two inside your seat tube for an 'emergency.'

3. stick with the platforms, but ride with tennies or skate shoes. they give you better grip than rugged/lugged soles. "clipless pedals make you ride better, but platforms make you a better rider." -me
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Your braking problems

Those "Force Forty" (as I seem to recall they were called) braking cams on the old pepperoni forks were the answer to a question no one was asking. The problem is that the pullling angle of the "yoke cable" (not really the yoke in this case but has the same function) is too large. Check out the angle of your cable in comparison to Partially Hydrogenated's. The lower pulling angle of his cable gives him much more mechanical advantage, and thus more powerful braking.

So by all means get yourself some new brake pads (some salmon Kool Stops would be my choice), but for really improved braking piss-off that silly cam, get a cable hanger to go under your stem, and use a standard old cable yoke and hanger. Get that pulling angle nice and low and I'm sure you'll see much improved braking.

For a good tutorial on the mechanics of top-pull cantilever brakes and how to set them up properly check out SheldonBrown.com.

Sam

Currently in Exile

One at a time

About the stem. Yes, it is goofy looking, but no more so than the one that was on the bike originally. It is an old C-dale road stem that I got for free bundled with a road stem that I purchased for a rodie build that I did last summer. Good thing is that with the Bonti riser bar, I get the PERFECT position. I just hope I never crash my sternum or nuts into the thing.

I sanded the brake pads and viola! instant braking power. Still not on par with good V-brakes, but now I can pull nose wheelies and imress the neighborhood kids. I will probably need to replace the rims and brakes for next summers riding season. But I will leave these on for now to get destroyed with winter riding.

On the pedal issue, I am learning to live with the flats. Shoe selection makes a BIG difference. I still need to re-learn how to bunnyhop without being clipped in. I can't just "pull up" on the pedals on this bike.

Moustache bars! Wow, those look really interesting. How do you ride them on a trail? BTW, the bike they are on looks much nicer than this one will ever have dreams of being. Is that a Reynolds steel frame?

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Moustache bars are the friggin' mack daddy when it comes to singlespeeds. I asked in the 29er forum about using them geared, and I'm not liking the options I have. But singlespeed, when all you need to worry about is the brake levers, they look brilliant.