Frankenbike hits a roadblock- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    452

    Frankenbike hits a roadblock

    I ordered a Gusset 18t steel cog along with a Sette tensioner (non-spring type) from Pricepoint with the hope of using my existing Shimano 32t middle ring and 8-speed chain for now to keep costs down.

    When I attempted to put it together I found that neither my 8 or 9 speed chains would seat in the cog properly. I double checked the cogs bag label and shipping statement and both said it was 3/32 which Pricepoint says works with all 8/9 speed chains.

    Apparently mislabeled at the factory (Gusset makes BMX stuff too) but it's a perfect fit for the SRAM 1/8" chain on my old steel road fixie (pre-hipster). So, do I just go 1/8 or try to get Pricepoint to ship me the right one (24 hours since I emailed them). Will the Blackspire 32t ring I was thinking of ordering work with a 1/8 chain? I know that 1/8" is stronger but again I was trying to keep things simple (read cheap) for now.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,649
    Do as you wish but 1/8" chain is not stronger. Many (most?) us on this forum employ 3/32" multi-speed chains.

    Good luck getting your situation sorted out.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Do as you wish but 1/8" chain is not stronger. Many (most?) us on this forum employ 3/32" multi-speed chains.

    Good luck getting your situation sorted out.

    --Sparty
    I would be using a 1/8 chain but It is difficult for me to find a 1/8 chainring and I dont find 3/32 chainrings to play well with a 1/8 chain. and I know that 1/8 chains are not stronger and a have more mass than a 3/32 chain
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    452
    Thanks guys, I wondered about potential problems with a 3/32 chain ring-1/8 chain combo. Taking a lot longer to get this thing up and running than I had hoped.

  5. #5
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,366
    You'll be fine with the 1/8th. I use 3/32nd, but they will work. Finding a replacement cob at the LBS that is appropriate size would be an easy set up.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    452
    LBS is actually a great place but they don't have much in the way of single speed parts but could probably order just about anything. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Surly 1X1 rigid fork from Universal Cycles and they have a 3/32 cog for under $5 so I will probably go that route and hope to work something out with Pricepoint.

  7. #7
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,366
    In that case, make sure to spend a hundred dollars and use the VIP10 for 10% off.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: farrisw1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    227
    Been runnin a 1/8 chain on 3/32 ring & cog for the last yr & a half with no problems @ all....and actually I couldn't get an 8 spd chain to work correctly on my 1x1 with the ratio I'm running for some reason, it was either too long or too short....

  9. #9
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I would be using a 1/8 chain but It is difficult for me to find a 1/8 chainring and I dont find 3/32 chainrings to play well with a 1/8 chain. and I know that 1/8 chains are not stronger and a have more mass than a 3/32 chain
    Then you're not looking in the right places!

    I am on the fence with the 1/8" VS 3/32" thing.
    1/8" is not stronger, but at the same time you get 30% more wear surface, so the rings and cogs tend to last longer if you use 1/8" rings and cogs.

  10. #10
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Then you're not looking in the right places!

    I am on the fence with the 1/8" VS 3/32" thing.
    1/8" is not stronger, but at the same time you get 30% more wear surface, so the rings and cogs tend to last longer if you use 1/8" rings and cogs.

    yes if I did go with your custom rings then It could be great but Im on a budget so....

    right now my 3/32 chain is squeaking because I don't lube it up every time I ride
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  11. #11
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,419
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    yes if I did go with your custom rings then It could be great but Im on a budget so....

    right now my 3/32 chain is squeaking because I don't lube it up every time I ride
    my aluminum rings are about the same price as any other SS ring

  12. #12
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    my aluminum rings are about the same price as any other SS ring

    how much are the steel ones
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  13. #13
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,366
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    how much are the steel ones
    Nuck! A little research, dawg! ~50 for steel. Should last you quite a bit and are invaluable for e-riding.

  14. #14
    Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Reputation: nuck_chorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,809
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Nuck! A little research, dawg! ~50 for steel. Should last you quite a bit and are invaluable for e-riding.
    Ive seen the prices before but I forgot , thankfully I have drones like you to tell me
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi
    I ordered a Gusset 18t steel cog along with a Sette tensioner (non-spring type) from Pricepoint with the hope of using my existing Shimano 32t middle ring and 8-speed chain for now to keep costs down.

    When I attempted to put it together I found that neither my 8 or 9 speed chains would seat in the cog properly. I double checked the cogs bag label and shipping statement and both said it was 3/32 which Pricepoint says works with all 8/9 speed chains.

    Apparently mislabeled at the factory (Gusset makes BMX stuff too) but it's a perfect fit for the SRAM 1/8" chain on my old steel road fixie (pre-hipster). So, do I just go 1/8 or try to get Pricepoint to ship me the right one (24 hours since I emailed them). Will the Blackspire 32t ring I was thinking of ordering work with a 1/8 chain? I know that 1/8" is stronger but again I was trying to keep things simple (read cheap) for now.

    Thanks
    There must have been a run of mislabeled Gusset cogs then because I had the same issue with the 12T, 14T & 16T I bought no more than 2 weeks ago. Actually the 7/8 spd chain that was on the bike worked sort of -- just a bit of too much 'capture' by the teeth though. Didn't think that was a good thing so switched to a 1/8" chain. Which just coincidentally enough was mated to a 36T Blackspire chainring. Didn't seem to have any problems with the mismatch but I only put ~50 on-road miles on that combo before switching to my 16T IGH & 40T cheapo chainring, both 3/32 but I'm still using the 1/8" chain. No issues so far but I've only put about 60 on-road miles on this combo. I think I'll switch to a 3/32 chain though since there's a possibility that the slight 'slop' of the 1/8" chain may actually accelerate wear.

    Good luck with your build.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    452
    Hmm, more less than perfect Gusset cogs. At least now I know I'm not losing my mind. No replies to 2 emails to Pricepoint, I'll have to give them a call later today I guess.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.