Franken-singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Franken-singlespeed

I've had this Trek 9500 OCLV frame sitting in the garage for the last ten years -- I had ridden the bike a few miles before stripping it for parts for another bike. I recently put together a Turner, and in a bout of UGI bought all new components.

Still suffering from UGI, I started thinking about a singlespeed. With a brand new Turner, there was no chance of another new frame (and my wife knows what bikes I have). Having read threads on Trek's lifetime warranty on their frames, I decided it might make a good donor to experiment with first.

I did put together a set of real singlespeed wheels (Phil Wood SS disc hubs, XM819 rims) and am using a White Industries freewheel and Surley stainless chainring, otherwise the bike is a mishmash of old parts.

The need for the derailleur is a bit of a bummer, but I do appreciate the little bit of suspension that is there (it locks out when climbing). I'll probably invest in another freewheel (maybe a Dos) as I'm spinning out the existing gear too quickly.

If/when the frame fails, I'll look for a dedicated SS frame, but in the meantime it has been running flawlessly and getting a lot of comments out on the trails.

75% Mountain cycle

You could take some links out of the chain

That's a sweet way to use that garage frame. I doubt it will fail.

I flirted with a FS SS rig and droped the chain quite often - it got pretty frustrating. As you can see, my chain was too long in this pic. I shortend it a few links and it worked better but still dropped too much. I was going to put an MRP chain guide (w/o rollers - just the plates) on the front and make a chain guide for the rear but decided on another frame.

If you find you are dropping the chain, I suggest cutting a few links out of the chain and using chain guide plates on the front and rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SanAnMan; 06-17-2005 at 04:58 AM. Reason: add photo