Which Frame would you Choose?- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

New question here. Which Frame would you Choose?

If all goes well, I am planning on replacing my Spicer Ti with a Seven or Dean. Here are my options:

1. Seven Verve - $2150 - Straight gauge 3/2.5 ti EBB, full custom. Price includes a professional fitting which they record pedal, rotoation, align everything with a laser and have a physical therapist there to be sure everything is abo****ely perfect.

2. Dean Colonel - $1350 - Straight gauge 3/2.5 ti EBB, generic size.

No concerned about the price difference, more concerned about having the exact same bike as my brother. Weird I know, but he would not like that . I want a better quality bike than my Spicer, and have to go a long way to find it. The Spicer is great, but it is a ego thing. I like it when everyone googles over my bike. I will most likely not place the order til about December, need to pay off some ither debt first. (Unless I can convince the wife otherwise)

If this were you, which would you choose and why?

SS Madness

Imo

I'd quit worrying about having people go oooh and ahhh over my bike and go ohhh and ahhh about how fast you are. Yeah we SSers like to have people look and wonder...but come on dude...

Pivoteer

I guess I should be more clear

The ego thing is only a small portion. This is my second Ti Spicer, i broke my first after only 3 months. After reading another post about the failure rate of the Ti Spicer, I began thinking. I went without my bike for nearly 8 weeks while it was being replaced. I ride pretty hard and I just have a skewed view of the Spicer nowI just want to know that the bike under me is 100% quality with no compromise, I can't say that about the Spicer right now. I have the money, it is not an issue.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Choices to be made.....

The Seven would be my choice. Top builder and accurate delivery schedules.

If you want to stroke your own ego, order one of the last 3 Phil Wood Ti SS PissOff frames available. It would be in about the same ball park in terms of money, and you would have a truly unique full custom SS bike.

Dean makes a good product also, but the delivery schedules are a nightmare. if you want to have pride of ownership, the Seven or PissOff would be it.

JS
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

And He was Not
    I'm curious, Where did your Spicer Ti frame break?

Pivoteer

Downtube

About 1/2 inch below the weld. I got real lucky as I decided to wash my bike rather than leave it for the next ride. I noticed the crack, more than half way around the downtube. Pretty scary, especially if I had gone out on it on Tuesday like I had planned.

The new frame is defineatly built better, but I am scared.

mtbr member
    you should be scared, caause just abot any fti rame can break....go steel....allthough you could break any steel frame too...go FS....allthough...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

enough said.

You Are What You Is

Seven!!!!

Jed Peters
    Piss-Off.

IF quality, Phil Wood love.

Mashers Only!!
    Seven!!!!

HUGH

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    If all goes well, I am planning on replacing my Spicer Ti with a Seven or Dean. Here are my options:

1. Seven Verve - $2150 - Straight gauge 3/2.5 ti EBB, full custom. Price includes a professional fitting which they record pedal, rotoation, align everything with a laser and have a physical therapist there to be sure everything is abo****ely perfect.

No concerned about the price difference, more concerned about having the exact same bike as my brother. Weird I know, but he would not like that . I want a better quality bike than my Spicer, and have to go a long way to find it. The Spicer is great, but it is a ego thing. I like it when everyone googles over my bike. I will most likely not place the order til about December, need to pay off some ither debt first. (Unless I can convince the wife otherwise)

No question - Se7en. Get exactly the bike you want, perfect fit and in a timely manner.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

try driving your car less

seven, for the fitting alone.
    Only boring people get bored.

Account Retired

Cool-blue Rhythm My Seven goes to Eleven

If you're looking for ohhs and ahhs, go with the seven and have a custom headbadge made from platinum and studded with precious stones. Make seven decal your ride with the word 'eight'. Then your bike will even be cooler than any other bike (even if it was made by seven). Then get an airbrush artisan to create a paint scheme that will even make ss jerry say 'whoa'

Components, fugget-u-boud-dit, go with the hardest to find, most exotic lightweight and fragile goodies cnc machined by companies in far away lands. Who cares that the manufacturer could be out of business down the line (just when you have a warranty claim)

But if you were looking for a serious answer...........I'd go with the custom fit seven.

This rant brought to you by coffee and too much sugar. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

hispanic mechanic

4 out of 5 ss'ers agree...

Se7en for sure. Look, before I decided to go back to school, I was all set to get the Verve. Unfortunately, I don't have the wherewithall to buy it now, but one day...
    Between the PissOff and the Verve, I don't think you can go wrong, but my preference for fit and function is Seven.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member

Mmmmm...

Not one of your choices but, is on my next bike list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

hispanic mechanic

SyCip whore!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel
    Not one of your choices but, is on my next bike list.
    Wow, that's a beaut!
    What's the dilly, yo?

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

giddy up!

No Question.

Seven.

Why not DEAN? Check out the DEAN threads in the custom builders forum......there is plenty of interesting reading over there:-) If you still decide you want a DEAN after reading all that, consider yourself warned!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Se7en

I think Se7en is the pinnacle of custom builds right now. I am still dreaming of having enough $$ to get a Se7en with the EBB and disc tabs only. (and I will one day- right now I am spending all my money on closing costs for my house so I have a good home for my bikes!!)
    I would follow the advice of the other guys (on this board and others) about avoiding the DEAN. That Sycip is one drool-worthy piece! And then you have Jeff Jones (way custom and super original with his frame design), IF, Matt Chester and maybe one day, Vulture.

Have fun, and take lots of pics for us once you get it built!
    Last edited by OneGearGuy; 06-21-2004 at 09:37 AM. Reason: noticed type-o
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member

I own a Dean

Dean has a great bang for the buck deal, but their turn around time sucks. You will be on the wait for at least 4 months to get your frame from them...but of course when you place the order and they take your CC number, they will quote you 5-6 weeks. Go with the Seven, you will be much happier with the quality and the customer support.

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGH
    Seven!!!!

HUGH

I'd have to agree with the choice for a seven...just dont come ride with the socal crew. sevens are a little poular

mtbr member

You working with Andrew yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Wow, that's a beaut!
    What's the dilly, yo?

the los
    I am patiently waiting for Javaboy, Should be in this week. How is school treating you?

Appalachian Singletrack'n

As the owner of two Deans….

I have a Custom Colonel SS with EBB and an ElDiente road bike they are both fantastic rides, perform extremely well, and have great fit’n finish but I would never deal with those guys again.

I would choose Seven for several reasons,

•Seven has the fit and feel system down. I live 1 hour from the Litespeed factory but 80% of the new Ti bikes in my town are Sevens and there is a reason. With a few exceptions people always get exactly what they wanted out of the bike.

•I don’t particularly like a set screw EBB on a Ti frame (what Dean uses). A set screw system works great on steel and aluminum but the Ti shells are too flexible so that tightening the screws distorts the shape of the BB shell. You can see this in some of the shots of SS Jery’s cx frame. Anyway I think an expanding EBB (what Seven uses) is superior in a Ti frame.

•If you ordered both bikes on the same day you will get you Seven 3 months before the Dean. Dean would continuously tell you that the bike would be done in 2 weeks, you will get pissed off and always have a little bit of a bad taste about the bike.

The only negative for the Seven I have heard is they cannot build a rear end that will accept large tires.

Personally If I where going to buy a Ti SS right now, I would look at Jeff Jones or say screw the rear disc and tiny wheels and call up Matt Chester. My SO is looking at a new custom roadbike and I am trying to persuade her toward Seven over some even more expensive options.

Pivoteer

... and if we just ... Thanks kids!!

I think my mind is made up. I will be getting a Seven for many reasons. I understand what many people are saying about DEAN, but my brother ordered one about 3 months ago and got it in 4 weeks!!

So my own experience with DEAN has been good, I even told him about the comments on DEAN and he did it anyway. The bike is superlight and really well built. It is beautiful. But my luck would be like the other 99% and I would have to wait 6 months to get it.

I think I will be ordering the SEVEN, but not til the end of the year. It will be my Christmas gift. I still want to take the time to look at other manufacturers as well, I want this to be the right one, and the last one. I want to do this one right. But i have always thought of Seven as the pinnacle of Ti building. Besides, a cutom fit bike will surely help with some of my nagging pains I have to deal with.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

i have a dean...

it's the duke, a ti softail. great quality and workmanship (but it's for sale, i prefer the ride and geometry of my ibis ripley). my frame was 2 weeks late (it took about 8 weeks, but they quoted 6 weeks), so it wasn't too late. i have heard of some people here being promised about 6-8 and end up taking close to 20 weeks!!! and, even then, the frame was not exactly what the person ordered...that is just plain ridiculous.

be sure to look into the phil wood piss off, independent fab ti deluxe, sycip super unleaded ti and carl strong's pipestone ti...if you're gonna drop that much cash, you owe it to yourself to make sure you've looked at all comparable choices.

cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sycip

I agree, I'd go w/ this Sycip Super Unleaded before the Seven.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    If you want to stroke your own ego, order one of the last 3 Phil Wood Ti SS PissOff frames available. It would be in about the same ball park in terms of money, and you would have a truly unique full custom SS bike.

JS
    Good god, there are 3 left? I would love one......
    Trev!

Waiting to exhale.

whoa!

dude!
    tiSSEr, are you serious?! they fit you to a bike with lasers and physical therapists and sh!T!!! no way... where and how do you do that? point me in the right direction! is that standard for all Seven frames? whoa I am savin my pennys

can you get a built in electric ball massager?
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004