Is this frame worth building a SS out of?- Mtbr.com
    Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

Is this frame worth building a SS out of?

My first real mountain bike was a Giant Youkon SE steel frame. It is about 10 or 11 years old but no defects. I recently sold it and in talking to the guy I sold it to, he told me I could buy it back for the same that he gave me for it. I was thinking it would make a good SS or at least a decent back up bike if I added some new parts to it.

What do you think? It's no high end frame but it is pretty tough having lasted me so many years. In truth, even though its an older cheaper bike I still regret getting rid of it. Must be sentimental value. Should I buy it back?

Dave ><>

Probably drunk right now

It depends on the price....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    My first real mountain bike was a Giant Youkon SE steel frame. It is about 10 or 11 years old but no defects. I recently sold it and in talking to the guy I sold it to, he told me I could buy it back for the same that he gave me for it. I was thinking it would make a good SS or at least a decent back up bike if I added some new parts to it.

What do you think? It's no high end frame but it is pretty tough having lasted me so many years. In truth, even though its an older cheaper bike I still regret getting rid of it. Must be sentimental value. Should I buy it back?

Dave ><>
    If the price is right, then buy it back. If you could buy a new SS specific bike (Surly, etc.) for less than what you would buy your old bike back for, then you would be better off not picking it up, IMO.

Ken

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

Only 100 dollars.

My main concern is if the frame be worth sinking money into.

Dave ><>

Probably drunk right now

I think so....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Moore
    My main concern is if the frame be worth sinking money into.

Dave ><>
    If you liked the way the bike rode with gears (handling, etc.) and you can reclaim it for $100 and figure on putting about $60 more in to it: Chain tensioner, spacers, cogs, chain ring bolts, etc. then you have a SS bike that you know handles well for a whopping $160.

The price point for a complete SS bike is anywhere from $500-$800, so you're money ahead. If you decide that you don't like SSing, you can put the bike back together and resell it or you can keep it a SS and sell it for about the same amount.

My 2, for what they're worth.

Ken

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

Thanks

I think that is what I'll do. I really didn't know how much I would have to spend in order to convert it. I'd also have to figure in new bars, seatpost, stem, and shock or rigid forks. Not because I have to of course.

Dave ><>

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004

Oh I forgot...

At least a front disk...Which means I'd have to swap the fork. Any shock/fork recommendations or maybe rigid?

Dave ><>

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

I think I have the same frame...

and I'm not sure that i'd go as far as upgrading so much stuff on it. It would be fine for a bit of a hack SS, but it is pretty heavy. If you're going to rplace so much, maybe consider one of the sub $100 new frames people have been posting about.

That's my opinion anyway.

jag

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by planetjag
    and I'm not sure that i'd go as far as upgrading so much stuff on it. It would be fine for a bit of a hack SS, but it is pretty heavy. If you're going to rplace so much, maybe consider one of the sub $100 new frames people have been posting about.
    jag
    I posted some info on a track frame that picked up over the weekend to build a SS out of (tsunami frame, $80)...but today while looking around ebay I found this: i don't know if i would really trust it, but it certainly caught my eye:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...677764919&rd=1

For $70 it might be worth a try....?

drew*