Frame spacing? Are all the same now?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Frame spacing? Are all the same now?

This may seem like a stupid question to some, but in light of my recent issue with discovering my old bike I was restoring had a narrower spacing than modern bikes, this came up. I noticed that when you see frames on websites or even ebay they never seem to list rear spacing. Everything else is listed usually, but not always. I also noticed a lot of "single speed hubs" so not list their width either. For example, I was looking at some White Industries stuff last night and it says that it puts the cogs in the right place for current single speeds, but I don't know what the right space is. Are these 135mm hubs with the screw on part scooted over? I guess I am just a moron.

I have been looking at these Fetish frames on ebay, a single speed model for $149. Has horizontal drops and what not. Also has disk mounts, but they aren't slotted so I don't know how well that might work. I know I could buy the frame then measure myself, btu what if say I was buying a Zion frame from jensen with a bunch of other components?

I guess the assume if you have to ask this type of question then you probably wouldn't be buying the frame.

Whatever! Just crash it!
    The standard for hartail frames these days is 135mm. Some big hit and DH bikes are going to 145 or 160mm for strength. I believe road bikes have settled out at 130mm.

Hopefully that helps a little.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shamelessly lifted from the inexhaustible font of knowledge that is SheldonBrown.com

91 mm Low-end front hubs.
    96 mm Older front hubs, especially French.
    100 mm Modern front hubs.
    110 mm Rear track and other single-speed hubs.
    120 mm Rear 5-speed, Ultra 6, newer track hubs.
    126 mm Rear 6- and 7-speed (road).
    130 mm Rear 7-speed (MTB) and 8- 9- and 10-speed (road).
    135 mm Rear 7- 8- and 9-speed (MTB)
    140 mm Rear tandem.
    145 mm Rear tandem (newer models.)
    160 mm Rear tandem (new Santana proposed standard.)

I should add that almost all singlespeed hubs designed for mountain biking are 135mm spacing.

Sam

mtbr member
    I have seen that list, although it is not entirely accurate and doesn't really answer my question. My Peugeot MTB was a 7 speed and has 126mm rear spacing which I spread to fit a 135mm hub into.

So, would you assume that most if not all MTB frames, single speed or otherwise, are going to be 135mm? Like that one on ebay, I should assume 135? Are there any notable exceptions? Why don't they list this sort of spec?

kung food
    Quote Originally Posted by 24601
    I have seen that list, although it is not entirely accurate and doesn't really answer my question. My Peugeot MTB was a 7 speed and has 126mm rear spacing which I spread to fit a 135mm hub into.

So, would you assume that most if not all MTB frames, single speed or otherwise, are going to be 135mm? Like that one on ebay, I should assume 135? Are there any notable exceptions? Why don't they list this sort of spec?
    They don't list the spacing because for 99.5% of the time, a mtb frame will be 135mm. The remaining half % will say so. The only notable exceptions I can think of off-hand is the Redline Monocog, it's 110...you can also find some other large 26" bmx-style cruiser/jump frames with 110mm if you look hard., but it's very unlikely.