mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Which frame should I get?

I'm building up a single speed and I was wondering which frame would be best? I'm considering the following frames

Soma 4one5
    OnOne Inbred
    Voodoo Wanga

They all weight about the same and they all tension the chain using a horizontal dropout (which I assume is the best way to tension a chain).

I might stay away from the Voodoo because I've read very bad things about their customer service. So far, I'm leaning more towards the 4one5

Anyone have any thoughts about pros and cons about those frames? Or maybe a better frame suggestion? I'm looking for a sub $500 frame.

ali'i hua
    well, you didnt tell us anything about where you ride, style, height, etc.

what are the differences in geometry in these three as well?

inbred would be my vote out of those three, though, it just rides right.i regret selling mine and might have a 29er inbred sometime in the future.

oh, and horizontal drop outs are not the best way, but they seem preferred. there are some sweet fixes to make an EBB work extremely well, namely the carver ebb.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    well, you didnt tell us anything about where you ride, style, height, etc.

what are the differences in geometry in these three as well?

inbred would be my vote out of those three, though, it just rides right.i regret selling mine and might have a 29er inbred sometime in the future.

oh, and horizontal drop outs are not the best way, but they seem preferred. there are some sweet fixes to make an EBB work extremely well, namely the carver ebb.
    I ride in Ontario where it's mostly hard pack and semi-rooty singletrack. I only ride XC. 5'10" 160lbs. 32" inseam which is a bit short for someone at my height.

They are all relatively similar in geometry. I was more concerned about any quality issues or weird characteristics that anyone's had any experience with regarding those choices.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by m3talslug
    I ride in Ontario where it's mostly hard pack and semi-rooty singletrack. I only ride XC. 5'10" 160lbs. 32" inseam which is a bit short for someone at my height.

They are all relatively similar in geometry. I was more concerned about any quality issues or weird characteristics that anyone's had any experience with regarding those choices.

well, I've ridden the soma and a inbred, and the inbred lives up to the "just ride along" view for its gemoetry- I'm a little taller than you and my 19" inbred was literally the best fitting off-the-shelf bike I've ever thrown a leg over (that off-the-shelf list includes titus, cannondale, kona, khs, and bridgestone way back in the day). the soma was just "there"- nothing fancy.

that and customer service for on-one is fine as well- Brant is a regular here and they have a crash replacement thing going on, which is rather cool.

from their site:

"Warranty is 2yrs for manufacturing defects only. Crash it and we offer you a replacement from our range at half regular retail price."

Members who have read this thread: 0