Frame recommendations? (Steel)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Frame recommendations? (Steel)

I built up a fixed gear 29er over the winter just to see if I would like it. I went with a cheap frame (OnOne Inbred) in case I hated it, I wouldn't be out a whole lot... turns out I love it. The Inbred is a pretty solid frame, but I would like something that fits a little better and has more "longevity" (aka I won't get sick of staring at a cheap Taiwan frame). There are a million steel frames out there, and I am sure you guys all know of some that I don't... Things I would like the frame to have:

- Rocker or Paragon sliding dropouts (not 100% necessary, but would be nice)
    - In the $500 range
    - Geometry works well with a Karate Monkey fork
    - Doesn't have a super low bottom bracket
    - Compliant!

mtbr member
    I think the el mar is the cheapest frame you can get new with sliders or rockers. Doubt it is all that compliant though.

How much do you weigh? Unless you're over 250 or so, probably want something made with thin walled heat treated tubing. Vassago, gunnar, niner all have some options - gonna need to look used to meet your budget though.

If your goal is a compliant bike, I would throw out the requirement "Geometry works well with a Karate Monkey fork". I'm an unabashed karate monkey lover but that fork is about the least compliant thing I can think of, so trying to build a compliant bike around that fork doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You could put that fork on the smoothest riding frame in the world and its still going to ride pretty harshly. I think a better approach would be to get a new frameset, or get a more compliant fork for your current frame and go from there.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/b...w-1004329.html

start there, I think everything on the market was covered!

I like my Juice but I am sure there are half a dozen other frames on the market that would work just as well for me.

mtbr member
    I hadn't thought about the El Mar... and I really like the Karate Monkey too, but that frameset is super beefy for my weight (around 165).

Also, I absolutely love the Soma Juice but I haven't been able to find it in stock anywhere. They sell out super fast.

mtbr member
    Ah I hadn't noticed this on soma's site: "Compatible with Paragon Machine Works "flat/flanged sliding dropout" replacement inserts"

So that is probably the cheapest one you can get, if you can get it.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, chumba is having a sale on their old stellas STELLA 2015 Frame Only Closeout! ? CHUMBA USA
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    what size Juice would you want? BTI has the 17.5" version (600mm ETT) available- BTI | Soma Juice 29er frame V.2,17.5", brownstone

which means your LBS should be able to order it for you no problem.

mtbr member
    Wow I totally forgot to check there... the bike shop I used to work at has an account through them. I'll have to make a stop over there this weekend.

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I'm an unabashed karate monkey lover but that fork is about the least compliant thing I can think of
    I've been on MTBR for 10 years and this may be the only thing everyone agrees on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I really like my Canfield Brothers Nimble 9. Very stable and comfortable with a Carver carbon fork and carbon bars.

mtbr member
    I really like the Nimble 9 as well. The geo on that frame is a bit aggressive for the type of riding I do on the fixie. I would love to build one up as an all around crusher though!