Frame recommendations please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Frame recommendations please

So. I need some ideas for a frame for my partner. She races 24hr and this bike will be a SS training bike but also needs to be a 1x11 backup bike for racing. She wants carbon and 1 142 x 12 rear wheel would be good (main race bike uses this size)

So far we havn't found any bikes that use 142 x 12 when in single speed configuration, though a few do when you change the dropouts out for geared use.

We have thought of the following.
    Niner Air 9 C - Not 142 x 12, also of the 6 here 4 of them have broken and the other 2 don't really get used.
    Intense Hard Eddie - Brake mount does not move with the sliding dropouts so will be a pain to set up when changing cog size.
    Pivot Les - Probably the best option just now but keen to hear more options
    Santa Cruz Highball - No carbon in small, not 142 x 12

Thanks guys

nothing to see here
    I don't have any specific recommendations, but look for a geared carbon frame with your 142 x 12 dropouts and also a BB30 or PF30 bottom bracket, then run a Beer Components eccentric adapter for it.

edit to add link > Eccentric Shop BEER Components
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just curious what benefits training on a SS bike would have for racing on a geared rig?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Just curious what benefits training on a SS bike would have for racing on a geared rig?
    climbing strength
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Leg strength (we are now confident that 1x11 will be enough for world champs in October), keep things interesting, lower maintenance. The SS isn't the only bike she trains on so the gears are still in there in her training and we will probably get the SS swapped to a geared bike about 1 1/2 months out from the race.

The Beer EBB is a possibility, however keeping a warranty intact would be nice and I know some companies will deny a warranty if you use one of them (niner being one with the air 9 RDO)

nothing to see here
    You could always buy one of the cheap Chinese carbon frames with that spec and that should get you by with the training. Specialized 29er carbon MTB frame 142x12 rear axle, View 29er carbon MTB frame, OEM Product Details from Shenzhen Miraclebike Sports Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com They have an aluminium insert for the BB which should be just fine with the BC EBB. Then just buy the geared frame you want for the race. Other than that, I think you're out of luck.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Kona Honzo? 142 sliding rear and steel which will be heavy but would be good for training purposes I suppose.

mtbr member

Frame recommendations please

I know you specified carbon but I just bought a Ti frame from Carver Bikes, and I run 142x12 rear as singlespeed and also as 1x9 geared.

The frame uses Paragon dropouts for which you just buy the specific dropout inserts you need.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The new Yeti ARC Carbon frame may fit the bill. 142x12 rear. Threaded bottom bracket. In a small size it would be a 27.5 frame though.

mtbr member
    Being steel, niner sir9 is a good option having EBB and 142x12 rear axle. I think steel is not that bad for training.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. We aren't going to go steel as this will be a race bike as well, The new yeti ARC I had discounted as I didn't think it could be run single speed, can it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It can if you use one of these-

Trickstuff

I use one on my carbon hardtail. It's been faultless so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Interesting, opens up a whole bunch of frames really. Not cheap though and when happens when the bearings go bad?