Frame Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Frame Question

Slacker

Frame Question

I got a custom ti frame single speed & rigid. I cracked the top tube after 7 months, he cut out and replaced with a new one. Thicker walled. Now 2 months later, ive cracked the down tube. He wants to cut it out and replace it with a thicker walled ti tube. he said i must have stressed the down tube weld, when i cracked the top tube, and thats why its cracked.

My question: Does this mess with the integrity of the frame, to shall i say, cut and paste it again. Will the heating and rewelding, caus me problems in the future?

Have other rigid riders has these types of problems. He tried to blame it on the way i ride, which doesnt make sense to me, im sure most ride em the same way??

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A) A good custom builder asks about how/what you ride, and takes that into account when building the frame.
    B) Depends upon the (possible) post- heat treatment that they do. He should have known that the additional heat needed to weld in the larger tube would have affected the other welds. Sounds like unless he wants some SERIOUSLY bad press, he owes you a newly built frame designed for you and the way you ride. Otherwise, you will never know everytime he changes out a tube here and there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I can't imagine thinking about what tube will crack at the beginning of every ride. I am currently in the market for a couple of custom bikes, if you don't mind can you PM me the result of your issues with this builder? I promise not to share names, I just want to be informed.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0