Frame material? Steel the best? Need a bit of advice....- Mtbr.com
    Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Frame material? Steel the best? Need a bit of advice....

Ok, I am planning a very custom frame and I have been leaning towards steel as the primary frame material (specifically 4130). Certain parts will be 6061-T6 as well. Is this the lightest material for longevity and low cost? I plan to use the bike more for pavement and smooth trails, and it will be an idea platform as well. Any suggestions? I can provide some details of the frame if needed.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

mtbr member
    I'm thinking pavement and smooth trails make for good aluminum terrain. Course this might mean you are using it as a commuter, this means licking it up which means easily dented frames.
    If you are thinking super custom- find the custom steel hardtail dude in your area and have 'em make up some simple steel rig w/ a killer paint job. Add trick disc brakes and Boone cogs and your in the club.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Lemme re-phrase it........

The bike will be an all-around bike, but very different (it will also qualify as a franken-bike). I found a source for aircraft grade 4130 in many different shapes so I'm going steel. I will be using a Pugsley fork as well so steel all around should be nice.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Members who have read this thread: 0