Frame decision- Mtbr.com

Thread: Frame decision

mtbr member

We the people ... Frame decision

I'm looking to build up a singlespeed and not sure which frame to go with, there's a lot out there. I'm steering more towards a steel frame, I was checking out the Soma 4one5 and the Surly 1x1. I'm looking just to have fun on it and maybe do a couple races with it. Any suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyp060
    I'm looking to build up a singlespeed and not sure which frame to go with, there's a lot out there. I'm steering more towards a steel frame, I was checking out the Soma 4one5 and the Surly 1x1. I'm looking just to have fun on it and maybe do a couple races with it. Any suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    26" or 29er?

There's a whole 'nuther discussion...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Probably stick w/ a 26, but I'm up for any suggestions

mtbr member

Sell the farm...

...Buy a Balck Sheep, BUY A BLACK SHEEP!!
    The On-One is SWEEET though, if you want to keep the farm and all. Good selection at Redstone in Lyons; http://www.redstonecyclery.com/redstone/home.htm they'll ship anywhere and have GREAT customer service!!
    Cheers,
    Cole
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    W-a-l-t-w-o-r-k-s

mtbr member

Well, well, well...

Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc
    W-a-l-t-w-o-r-k-s
    Yes, my apologies sherpaxc, Walt, Ground Up, Black Sheep, Don Bike...These are the way to the light my friend!! I bought a cheap Bianchi (STILL MY FIRST LOVE) but if you buy a cheap single you will lust the others SOON!! Yes, my poor bianchi has lost out to my on-order steel crusier Black Sheep, sure sherpaxc may have a similar story leading to the love of a Walt frame, either way get one, any one...then enjoy!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member

$$

There are many options,,,

It all depends on how much Green you have to work with................

$ - Convert old bike
    $$ - MonoCog
    $$$ - 1x1 , Inbred , Kona Unit
    $$$$ - Custom built frame - Waltworks , Vicious , VCW , etc.
    $$$$$ - Custom built dream machine 29er with all the bells and whistles

Later

Jim

mtbr member

True that

Quote Originally Posted by burtondogs
    There are many options,,,

It all depends on how much Green you have to work with................

$ - Convert old bike
    $$ - MonoCog
    $$$ - 1x1 , Inbred , Kona Unit
    $$$$ - Custom built frame - Waltworks , Vicious , VCW , etc.
    $$$$$ - Custom built dream machine 29er with all the bells and whistles

Later

Jim
    But you can dump a little money now to spend a lot later like I did, or just jump all in. If you know you like the whole SS thing I would jump full on in, just my 2 cents. The On One and Kona are very nice production bikes, the Redline I am less impressed with, though I know; different stokes for different folks. I guess I would get "On-One" and just ride...SSimple!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I already did option 1, I've converted my old GT Pantera into a singlespeed but now am looking for something a little better but something that also won't break the bank. If I had the cash I would go for a Black Sheep...WOW...what a beautiful bike, but not looking to spend that much. Don't really want to go the cheapest route either, probably something in between.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I recently got a Surly 1x1 and love it. Just wanted a Surly over the other bikes (no reason in particular). I've only been riding for a few months, and went from a really plush FS. Having a ton of fun on my SS. It's been great. Just need to build some muscle so I can ride some tougher trails on it. Hope to get in around 60-70 miles on it this weekend. Or maybe less on the SS and more on the geared bike. Riding a SS is really tiring

But, it's been great. I had it rigid for one ride, and it was fine, would definitely take some getting used to for me, but have a Fox fork on it now. It's great. The lockout works really well on climbs, and helps for sure on the descents. Bike has been awesome, though. Despite doing trails that I wouldn't have wanted to do on this bike YET (hubby's bike is out of commission and I'd like to get in as much time on my new bike as possible) I have been having loads of fun on the Surly. It's a different animal than my FSR Stumpy for sure, but I always end rides with a smile!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I was thinking about a Curtlo 29er. Great pricing from a custom shop.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005

Hope IMH(E)O: In my humble experienced opinion...

Go with the Surly over the Soma. If you're able visit these guys, they have(had?) both in stock, and I know for sure they have a 16" 1x1 white in stock.

http://bayareabikes.com/

If not check around via the internet, there's a few LBS's and Non-Local-LBS's clearing out white 1x1's. (They can also use their suppliers item search/locator) I think that's how Aword4you got a deal on her's.

Peace!

Obi...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

my geared cross bike is a Curtlo

Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    I was thinking about a Curtlo 29er. Great pricing from a custom shop.
    Rides great, on or off road, it took a while to get once it was ordered though, nice guy to work with though. Mines does duty as my roadbike and only geared off road bike.

34N 118W

get a Curtlo

if for no other reason than he might put your bike on his website. And chicks dig that.

http://www.curtlo.com/frame_catalog/solo.html

Keep on Rockin...

Surly 1x1

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyp060
    Cheap. Readily available used. Nice ride. Very, very well thought out in terms of design... things like tire clearance, V or disc compatible, track style dropouts, fender mounts for muddy spring riding... Durable.

I've had mine for about 2 years or so and have become hooked on SS. There's only one downside to the frame: it's a bit more weight and maybe it gives a bit less forgiving ride than a custom steel. In a year or so I may have a custom steel SS built. I'm going to hand over the Surly to the builder and ask him to duplicate it, except lighten it up again and make it a bit more compliant, and get rid of the disc tabs. I'll keep the current Surly as a mud bike.

Mike

mtbr member
    Check out Spot. Probably one of the best riding frames you will find.

Buddy
    Spot Brand Whore

Members who have read this thread: 0