Frame choice narrowed to two customs...opinions?- Mtbr.com
    zeebot

Frame choice narrowed to two customs...opinions?

So i had chosen vulture cycles about 13 minutes ago to build my new frame for $875. then i got email from vail cycleworks, whom i know nothing about but got their address off the SS faq, saying they have a 19" ebb in my size for 25 dollars more made out of 100%Columbus Navicrom. He said it's high end columbus strong and light...its unpainted so i can have it painted any way i want for no extra charge as long as i dont want something unusual.

help!

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    So i had chosen vulture cycles about 13 minutes ago to build my new frame for $875. then i got email from vail cycleworks, whom i know nothing about but got their address off the SS faq, saying they have a 19" ebb in my size for 25 dollars more made out of 100%Columbus Navicrom. He said it's high end columbus strong and light...its unpainted so i can have it painted any way i want for no extra charge as long as i dont want something unusual.

help!
    Does the 19" have the right geometry for you or do you want Wade to work his magic around your measurements??

Do you want it now (after paint) or can you wait for the build??

If it was me, I would wait, but I have been admiring Wade's work for a long time, and been wanting one just as long.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Does the 19" have the right geometry for you or do you want Wade to work his magic around your measurements??

Do you want it now (after paint) or can you wait for the build??

If it was me, I would wait, but I have been admiring Wade's work for a long time, and been wanting one just as long.
    Seems like working the magic around measurements is the better way to go when you put it your way the 19" from vail is spot on though i just know absolutely nothing about them or the steel they use and it'll still take 2 to 3 weeks to get it painted and shipped out he said so time isnt much of an issue...only a week or two faster. wade said he would use true temper or zona and keep it under 5lb's max including the ebb. the vail frame weighs a hair over 4lb's without the bushnell ebb which i have no clue how much it weighs.

Out spokin'
    Seems like working the magic around measurements is the better way to go when you put it your way.
    Personally, I'd go with Wade. In fact, I DID go with Wade. None of my other bikes fits me as well as my Vulture, and I have about a dozen bikes.

Vultures FLY!

Carrion, brutha!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bikes not Bombs.....

The power of a known quantity....

Knowledge is power and instills confidence.

I own neither of these two builders. I have heard of both. I know by experience that a custom frame will bring pride of ownership, will instill confidence in riding and will be a source of joy for years to come. It will be unique, it will be yours, made especially for you with your thoughts, measurements and desires coupled with the skill of a master frame builder.

You will never regret going with top notch building coupled with world class customer service.

Go with what you know, you will never question your decision and will sleep the sweet SSleep each day you ride the bike of your dreams.

SS Jerry
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member

I thought...

you were a self proclaimed weight weenie? Vultures are really nice, but not light from what I've read in past posts.

Why the rush to ditch the Pink Surly you seemed to like so much? Is the disc brake tab issue really bothering you that much? I guess I've never had an issue with my Surly and discs.

MC

help!

Drinkin' Buddy

Go with Wade

I have to second Sparty on this one. I love my Vulture, and while some may say it is heavy, I am a hefty guy. So when I asked him to build for me, I told him how much I weighed and that my '90s Kona Nemo-tubed bike had sweet geometry but just flexed under my weight. I never asked for a light bike, and he built accordingly. I'm sure that he could build you a frame that is much lighter than mine. After all, that is the best thing about a custom, that it is built specifically to fit you and what you want in a bike.
    If you have the cash to go custom, then go custom. It will fit you better than any off-the-shelf bike and you will not regret it
    Kyle
    Got Beer?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    you were a self proclaimed weight weenie? Vultures are really nice, but not light from what I've read in past posts.

Why the rush to ditch the Pink Surly you seemed to like so much? Is the disc brake tab issue really bothering you that much? I guess I've never had an issue with my Surly and discs.

MC
    I still like the surly. I like lighter weights i'm not obsessive about it though. the vulture will weigh about the same as the surly maybe a tad less which is perfectly fine with me. I had wheel slippage a few times up here in the northeast but when i rode in pisgah i swear that place brings out the worst in everyones bike. every time i descended i would get wheel slippage...a few times pretty major where the wheel would slam into the chainstay.

but besides those issues, i'm not completely happy with the size. 20" would've been a better choice but too late for that!

zeebot
    thanks for the advice everyone looks like i'll stick with my original choice of vulture! Got the faxed orderform this morning i think at work waiting for me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The new dirt rag

has a raffle for a Vulture EBB frame. Looks real nice! Unique tubing configurations, Zona steel, sweet.

Frequent Crasher
    Gotta say go with Vulture! I love mine and am considering another one. I have a 29'er SS with EBB. You could say I am proud to have a Vulture, check out the rotors
    Attached Images Attached Images

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Gotta say go with Vulture! I love mine and am considering another one. I have a 29'er SS with EBB. You could say I am proud to have a Vulture, check out the rotors
    Very cool

mtbr member

You'd be very happy with the VCW also...

provided the 19" fits you well. I've got a horizontal track end version of the Mega One and it's my favorite bike by far. Jack does really nice work and has the frames painted at Spectrum Powder Works so you can do just about anything you want with the paint. The Nivachrom tubeset that Jack uses is reasonably light and the Mega down tube that he uses really stiffens up the BB area for standing up to get up the hills. It seems like a bunch of people really like their Vultures but I think you can't really go wrong with either, provided the fit is right for the 19" VCW. Decisions!

banned
    Vulture for sure. I don't have anything against VCW, but I know Wade and I know the love he puts into his frames. I'd choose Wade's frame every time (except for my own, which I build myself!). I went to UBI's fillet brazing school last July and Wade was in my class to brush up on his brazing. He's solid, very solid. Knows his craft.

get down!
    Vultures got really expensive

more than curtlo and retrotec
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed
    Vultures got really expensive

more than curtlo and retrotec
    That's one thing i was wondering after doing lots of research. curtlo i hadnt even considered because of hollywoods ridiculous weight time. I don't question wade's work it looks great, but for only 225 more i can get a frame from vicious that weighs a pound less made out of about the best steel you can get and toss in about the best paint jobs in the industry it's hard to look away from them. I'm torn. Will decide by friday.

giddy up!

Hmmmm....

.....how much are wades frames selling for these days....weren't they in the 600-700 range?

That's one thing i was wondering after doing lots of research. curtlo i hadnt even considered because of hollywoods ridiculous weight time. I don't question wade's work it looks great, but for only 225 more i can get a frame from vicious that weighs a pound less made out of about the best steel you can get and toss in about the best paint jobs in the industry it's hard to look away from them. I'm torn. Will decide by friday.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    .....how much are wades frames selling for these days....weren't they in the 600-700 range?
    875 for columbus zona or true temper ox and thats with disc only ebb.

Your bike sucks
    875 for columbus zona or true temper ox and thats with disc only ebb.
    I must have gotten one of the last 'cheap' ones. Makes me like my bike even more. All in all Wade took good care of me. I'm pleased. Nice guy too.

All the new paint and build options are cool though.

get down!
    dude if you don't spend the extra for the viscious you're a fool...those bikes are so nice it's ridiculous and some of the best paint ever...not to mention rigid forks...mandingo!

I bet a pink viscious singlespeed would be the envy of all peers and ride like no other

that's a bike that you would never want to sell

I WANT ONE NOW TOO! damn you

get down!
    so I was just thinking that hollywoods curtlo is real pimp and you could just throw a v brake on until you got the curtlo, and then ditch the surly...it would lose little to no value from now till you get the frame?

zeebot
    so I was just thinking that hollywoods curtlo is real pimp and you could just throw a v brake on until you got the curtlo, and then ditch the surly...it would lose little to no value from now till you get the frame?
    i have disc only wheels so that isnt an option. too many damn choices.....this is hard! i go from saving loot and then an hour later i'll think maybe it's not so bad to drop over a g on a frame.

get down!
    I feel you man, that's the whole reason I got my surly and I was going through the same dilemma, I had disc/v wheels though since it's a 29er so I just threw a v brake on the rear...voilla!

have you given Kelly a call? I know they have real nice frames with great geo, usually ready to paint...with great colors. hit Ventenerama up and he'll hook up the price for shure

mtbr member
    i have disc only wheels so that isnt an option. too many damn choices.....this is hard! i go from saving loot and then an hour later i'll think maybe it's not so bad to drop over a g on a frame.
    What a lot of builders have done I've noticed, is start building frames for some ridculously low price, get a few frames out there, then put the price up to some level where it's actually sustainable. It's a neat trick. I wish I'd done that

Just to confuse matters further.......*blatant spam alert*.........

US$750 for v-brakes, US$850 with discs and a Bushnell EBB. Includes delievery.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    What a lot of builders have done I've noticed, is start building frames for some ridculously low price, get a few frames out there, then put the price up to some level where it's actually sustainable. It's a neat trick. I wish I'd done that

Just to confuse matters further.......*blatant spam alert*.........

US$750 for v-brakes, US$850 with discs and a Bushnell EBB. Includes delievery.
    I saw them but couldnt find prices on the web and didnt look further into it since they were AU. thanks for making matters more difficult

get down!
    what kind of wait times on the Thylacine?

Out spokin'
    ...and some of the best paint ever...
    Don't overlook the fact that Derrick Bell, previously the paintmaster of Co-Motion Cycles, recently became Wade's business partner and is now painting each and every Vulture. That's no small statement. If you've seen his work you know that Derrick is as creative and talented with paint as Wade is with metal.

While it's true that the price of Vultures has gone up, so has the quality. Vulture is no longer a part time builder -- Wade and Derrick have stepped up and made investments in every aspect of their craft. The stuff coming out of the Vulture aerie compares with anything else in the price range.

Sure there are other excellent builders out there as well; I'm not saying Vulture is the only way to go. But don't think that Vulture simply raised his prices because he thought the market would bear it -- far from it. Dream it and Vulture will build it for you. Plus, you'll get your frame on time as promised. Tour the Vulture facility sometime and prepare to be impressed with both the equipment and the people who use it all to bring your frame to life.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I hate to hype another builder...; )

But $875 for a full custom is not expensive. Actually it's damn cheap.

Compare the builders' quality and attention to detail to that of the established builders and then compare pricing. Do this and it should be pretty easy to see who provides a good value.

The low cost part-timers do provide a great service, but you should probably make sure that they do carry substantial liability insurance before you ride one of their frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Isn't a Spicer Ti w/ ebb about $900ish? And you can get that custom fitted. Maybe it's not "boutique" enough for you, but if you're wanting a light frame and you've got the money to spend why not Ti? Sure custom paint jobs are sweet, but it makes the scratches and chips all the more painful. Beat the heck out of Ti and just take some steel wool to it and it'll look like new again. Everybody knows that Gene Spicer is a pleasure to do business with too. Just something else to consider...

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS
    Isn't a Spicer Ti w/ ebb about $900ish? And you can get that custom fitted. Maybe it's not "boutique" enough for you, but if you're wanting a light frame and you've got the money to spend why not Ti? Sure custom paint jobs are sweet, but it makes the scratches and chips all the more painful. Beat the heck out of Ti and just take some steel wool to it and it'll look like new again. Everybody knows that Gene Spicer is a pleasure to do business with too. Just something else to consider...
    i saw that on his site. around 875 for a custom Ti w/ ebb. I spoke with him on sunday and told him i was interested and he was going to send me some info via email but havent received anything yet. i would definitely get his ti frame at that price.

Maybe i lack patience but i get frustrated when i communicate with people and then i hear nothing from them after 4 days. I realize they are busy most likely...

The only builders that have showed any interest are wade and crew who've actually called me and vicious cycles. vicious is so #[email protected]% expensive though. 1200 w/ ebb. i've emailed quite a few others and not one has even responded.

banned

$750-800 is NOT expensive for custom steel

People are so busy comparing CUSTOM frame prices to robot-build frame prices. You can get an Interloc/IRD/SomaFab steel HT for $200 at JensonUSA, so why get custom?

1) fit fit fit. ever dream of a bike that moves when you just hint at it? custom is the way to get that.

2) configuration. get the dropouts you like, the cable guides you like, the geometry you like. not stuck with narrow chainstays that tolerate only 2.1" tires. etc.

3) quality. robot-build bikes are made without any care for you as a rider. custom frames are made for YOU, with all that implies... tubing selection, geometry, etc.

What would you pay a framebuilder per hour? What do you think is fair? Now, answer this: how long do you think it takes a custom frame builder to make a frame?

At $750-800, the custom frame builder isn't making very much per hour. It's done for love, not for riches.

Vicious Cycles have great paint, but the paint doesn't change the ride. If you're primarily a rider, Vicious frames are overpriced. If you want to "look good" and stir up envy for the paint on your rig, then talk to Carl. Otherwise your options are huge.

Curtlo frames are excellent. Wait times depend on the season and what Doug's up to otherwise. I have two Curtlo HTs, one is a Solo Mountaineer SS. Excellent work, terrific value. Wait times can be longer than quoted, but custom frames are not for the person who needs instant gratification.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    i saw that on his site. around 875 for a custom Ti w/ ebb. I spoke with him on sunday and told him i was interested and he was going to send me some info via email but havent received anything yet. i would definitely get his ti frame at that price.

Maybe i lack patience but i get frustrated when i communicate with people and then i hear nothing from them after 4 days. I realize they are busy most likely...

The only builders that have showed any interest are wade and crew who've actually called me and vicious cycles. vicious is so #[email protected]% expensive though. 1200 w/ ebb. i've emailed quite a few others and not one has even responded.
    Having gone through this first hand, you will get a much better response if you call the builders. They are busy enough that they don't check email everyday and when they do, they have to sift through between the orders and people who are just asking questions, etc. Most of the time it's just them, no web person or secretary so it's not uncommon for them to have a few hundred emails at a time...

DT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    People are so busy comparing CUSTOM frame prices to robot-build frame prices. You can get an Interloc/IRD/SomaFab steel HT for $200 at JensonUSA, so why get custom?

1) fit fit fit. ever dream of a bike that moves when you just hint at it? custom is the way to get that.

2) configuration. get the dropouts you like, the cable guides you like, the geometry you like. not stuck with narrow chainstays that tolerate only 2.1" tires. etc.

3) quality. robot-build bikes are made without any care for you as a rider. custom frames are made for YOU, with all that implies... tubing selection, geometry, etc.

What would you pay a framebuilder per hour? What do you think is fair? Now, answer this: how long do you think it takes a custom frame builder to make a frame?

At $750-800, the custom frame builder isn't making very much per hour. It's done for love, not for riches.
    These are all very good points, Gonzo. It's naive to compare a Pacific Rim made frame or whatever to a hand built frame, made sustainably in the First World. The great irony is with increasing unemployment and the plague of 'economic rationalism' and 'globalisation', people are STILL happy to go 'Yay, I just bought a Titanium frame for 900 bucks!". I have nothing against people buying cheap...I dunno....food containers or other utalitarian things, but something you love as much as bikes?! If you get to the point of saying to yourself "I'm serious about this cycling thing, I want a custom" - do the industry a favour and support First World craftsmanship.

Otherwise I'll have to start making polished stainless steel lugged road frames for doctors and lawyers, and charge 2500 bucks a pop for them
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

mtbr member

I have a Spicer Ti (not custom)

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    These are all very good points, Gonzo. It's naive to compare a Pacific Rim made frame or whatever to a hand built frame, made sustainably in the First World. The great irony is with increasing unemployment and the plague of 'economic rationalism' and 'globalisation', people are STILL happy to go 'Yay, I just bought a Titanium frame for 900 bucks!". I have nothing against people buying cheap...I dunno....food containers or other utalitarian things, but something you love as much as bikes?! If you get to the point of saying to yourself "I'm serious about this cycling thing, I want a custom" - do the industry a favour and support First World craftsmanship.

Otherwise I'll have to start making polished stainless steel lugged road frames for doctors and lawyers, and charge 2500 bucks a pop for them
    Does that mean I'm not as serious a cyclist as someone who purchased a hand built custom made frame? I considerd both Ti and steel. At the time, I chose Ti over steel for 1 reason...the finish is more durable. The Spicer was an affordable (did not pay $900) way for me to get Ti.
    I'm not saying that if I wanted a custom steel frame I wouldn't buy American or "First World"...I definately would. But it's not going to make me any more serious about the sport I love.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithG
    Does that mean I'm not as serious a cyclist as someone who purchased a hand built custom made frame? I considerd both Ti and steel. At the time, I chose Ti over steel for 1 reason...the finish is more durable. The Spicer was an affordable (did not pay $900) way for me to get Ti.
    I'm not saying that if I wanted a custom steel frame I wouldn't buy American or "First World"...I definately would. But it's not going to make me any more serious about the sport I love.
    Thanks for the advice although i followed my own for the most part. I broke down and just ordered a Vicious frame and came up with a few reasons to help justify the $1200(i got disc only w/ebb thus 100 more) sticker price. One, it's only an hour away so i can drive and pick it up plus if any problems occur they are near by. Second, they have really light frames and i'm a racer. 3rd, they have cool paint jobs I'm getting candy metallic pink up front fading to a candy metallic purple to match my current purple king headset. cant wait to pick this baby up later in june!

34N 118W

nice choice!

FINALLY!

sounds very cool - can't wait to see pics. Paint sounds purdy.

I broke down and just ordered a Vicious frame I'm getting candy metallic pink up front fading to a candy metallic purple to match my current purple king headset. cant wait to pick this baby up later in june!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    FINALLY!

sounds very cool - can't wait to see pics. Paint sounds purdy.
    Thanks, i need the confirmation it was a good choice. i cant believe i spent 1200 on a bike frame... 5 weeks is the estimation so it'll be a tough wait!

I like Squishy Bikes

SuperB

Whats that black & gold looking thing at the end of your drop out?
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

Singlespeeder Downunder
    Jan 2004

Thylacine?

What's the thylacine 221 worth locally (in AUD)?

Jag
    Starting to dream about tax return time

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wow, sweet choice. Just more confirmation for you... S

mtbr member
    May 2004

Reasoning?

Thanks for the advice although i followed my own for the most part. I broke down and just ordered a Vicious frame and came up with a few reasons to help justify the $1200(i got disc only w/ebb thus 100 more) sticker price. One, it's only an hour away so i can drive and pick it up plus if any problems occur they are near by. Second, they have really light frames and i'm a racer. 3rd, they have cool paint jobs I'm getting candy metallic pink up front fading to a candy metallic purple to match my current purple king headset. cant wait to pick this baby up later in june!

1. Who cares if they're close; you can go "pick up" any number of bikes from your LBS who is also close. Serotta is also in your neck of the woods and IMO makes a better bike.

2. Their frames are likely heavier than 85% of mass produced aluminum and Ti frames and you're not a "racer"; you're a hobbiest as evidenced by the fact that you feel the need to announce it as if it's relevant and the fact that you're buying a bike and not riding what your sponsor has supplied for you.

3. There are plenty of folks who can do really cool paint jobs. Buy a Pacific with horizontal drop-out and have it painted to match your headset and save $1100

or.......

Buy the one you ordered because it just happens to be the one you like and it's going to make you happy to spend your $1200 on it. That doesn't make Keith's bike any less a race bike or you any more a racer. Despite the claims of some of the more arogant niche builders no bike is going to steer itself, magically pick the best line through the singletrack, or miraculously wisk you up mountains to win a race.

get down!
    ^^go smoke something or masturbate, you seem really stressed life-hater

mtbr member

Spicer rocks ... but ...

got's ta be patient as Gene is a one man band ... stands behind everything and completely honest and helpful ...

Here's my totally custome Uber-Cruiser theat Gene did for me.

Uber-Cruiser