Thread: Frame Choice

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Frame Choice

A quickie question for you frame guru's in the audience. I have a chance to buy an On One Inbred frame in basically new condition for around $200. The frame is V-brake only. A few days ago I posted in the thread about Jenson USA selling the sliding drop-out Inbred's for $269 which to me is great deal. Now if I include shipping I can get a new frame for around $90 more than the V-brake frame. I guess the question comes down to are the sliding dropouts ( and I suppose the ability to run gears/disc brakes in the future ) worth the extra $$.

This will be a "from the ground up" build (read: no spare parts anywhere) that will hopefully become that nice "family outings rail trail/bike path bicycle" that I've been trying to secure for the better part of the past year.

Any thoughts????

{Reading my own post it just might be cheaper to buy a complete bike directly for On-one}
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I certainly would not buy a complete bike from Jenson....as such, as I too have thought about this, you are probably better of buying the complete bike direct from On-One or via a reputable shop who deals knows their single speed stuff.

those are Rollercams...
    Whether a complete build or frame only, I'd go for the On-One from either On-One or Webcyclery only. Brant is offering great deals direct and Webcyclery is probably the number one On-One dealer in the States in addition to being very knowledgable and great all around guys.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Let me answer your question. I would buy the new sliding dropout frame from Jenson.

The Top Cap Guy
    between a used v=brake only frame and a sliding dropout disc/v-frame that's new for $90 more - I'd go with the nerw one. If you like SS'ing a ton and upgrade down the road to a custom fir frame - the sliding dropout frame will be easier to sell as it will appeal to both disc brake and v brake users... a wider audience. Since your just getting the frame I realize that is far away - but don't limit yourself from the start with a v only frame when you have an option. Who knows maybe the v-brake used frame will make you happy for a lifetime...

Just my 1/2 cent
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the jenson frame is disc only

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzy
    the jenson frame is disc only
    Guess that's what I get for not going to the Jenson site - I just went - they don;t even have a picture of it....lol....

So my corrected answer is - I'd buy the new disc only frame as that's what I run - a disc only frame.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Thanks......

Thank you everyone for all the input. One of the main reasons I was considering the V-Brake frame is because of the fact that I have not been able to find a decent way to mount my child carrier to either of my other two bikes both of which run disc brakes. The carrier attaches to a blackburn bike rack which attaches to the chicld seat. You get the idea.... Additionally, the v-brake only frame is actually being sold by my LBS and I try to support the little guy.

Thinking through things logically, I don't think I could build up a bike spec'd as nice for the same pricepoint as the offers currently on the On-One website so the complete bike will probably be the way to go. Being a taller guy I also like the idea of this whole 29er movement so this just further adds to my confusion.

For what its worth this is not my 1st SS (owned 2 Monocog's) but this is my 1st Inbred.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

Members who have read this thread: 0