frame builder advice/info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

frame builder advice/info

Just like the Amish go out into the real world when they reach a certain age, I had to go out and buy a big dumb squishy gearie. Realizing the grave error I made, I seek to rectify the situation. I'm going to replace my Sass. It is a toss up on steel vs. ti, however, I'm leaning towards 29" My price range is $750-$1200. Any tips on what builders to start my research on?(Curtlo, Strong, Spicer, ect)Thanks guys&gals!!!
    Jason

giddy up!
    I voted for Strong. So did my coworker. Both 29. The SS is mine, gears are J's. He also has a road frame and cross frame built by Carl Strong. You really can't go wrong with Carl:-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by donkey; 11-05-2004 at 02:37 PM.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Out spokin'
    I'll stick with Vulture. Your choice of frame material. Within your price range. Unbelievable paint. Prompt delivery. Wade & Derrick are great to work with -- they really listen.

Vulture

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by veloyaj
    Just like the Amish go out into the real world when they reach a certain age, I had to go out and buy a big dumb squishy gearie. Realizing the grave error I made, I seek to rectify the situation. I'm going to replace my Sass. It is a toss up on steel vs. ti, however, I'm leaning towards 29" My price range is $750-$1200. Any tips on what builders to start my research on?(Curtlo, Strong, Spicer, ect)Thanks guys&gals!!!
    Jason
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

don't try this at home
    i really like my curtlo. custom and fillet brazed and in your price range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Walt Works

Nice stuff, custom built, good price, nice guy, 29er exp., builds a custom susp. corrected 29er rigid fork. Former racer and rides his stuff. waltworks.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Vicious Cycles, like whoa!

Your bike sucks
    Vulture owner here.

For a 29er, I'd check out Waltworks. His frames look very good & the weight sounds right. I didn't get a chance to talk to him at Veloswap but I saw the bikes and they looked good. Very pro 29er. Maybe I'm a sucker for the small guy and his marketing but I dig his claimed warranty and options like knocking $100 off the cost if you want to get it painted somewhere else. It doesn't hurt that he's local to me. If I wasn't getting my Karate Monkey at cost, he might be building my next ride. I wish I heard about him 1 year ago - I'd really put some effort into checking out his work. That said, I don't have any experience with the guy or his bikes.

Spend some time on making this decision and if you deal with a small builder (hint: trust me on this) see an example of his work before you pluck down your cash. Otherwise, I think you'd be fine buying from some of the more established companies sight unseen....IF, Seven, Viscious, Kelly, etc. Once you've narrowed your choices down, check with other owners to get their opinions on the ride and to learn about their interactions with the builder (philosophy, wait time etc).

I spent an extended day with a true master builder earlier this year and it opened my eyes as to what a top quality builder is capable of doing......and what a less meticulous builder can't hide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Custom frames

Jason

Here are few choices. These builders each put their heart and souls into building their frames. www.kellybike.com www.viciouscycles.com www.coconinocycles.com
    www.soulcraftbikes.com

These builders, among several other build totally *****en bikes.

I have launched a online retail shop dedicated to all singlespeeds. It will be the only online source for singlespeed bikes, frames and components. It should be up and running, albeit, at a smaller scale starting mid- November.
    We will carry such frames as Kelly, Surly, Phil Wood, Soulcraft, Vicious and others. Components from Pauls, Hayes, Avid, White Ind., Truvativ, Surly and Phil Wood among others. Forks from the major fork companies, both rigid and suspension.
    The name of the company is called 1speeddrive.com

Any questions, regarding any need parts, email me at [email protected]

mtbr member

thanx all. It's down to 2

Spicer VS. Airborne. Both offer 29' ti with all the details I want at the same price. any thoughts?

Your bike sucks
    Curiak liked his Airborne 29er. That's about all I have. Isn't the Airborne off the shelf while the Spicer a true custom build?

zeebot
    Spicer VS. Airborne. Both offer 29' ti with all the details I want at the same price. any thoughts?
    Personally I would do more research. My eyes were caught by the Airborne ti due to price and after searching for info on it I found many people were disappointed with the quality of the frame. My main concern was WHY was it 1300 while Seven, IF, etc were charging nearly double for the same thing.

Spicer Ti I've heard is similar. he basically has nothing to do with it, from what i've gathered, besides drawing up the specs and then it's made overseas.

I may be wrong or misinformed, hopefully i am!, but you gotta wonder why most of the custom Ti builders charge easily $700+ for the same thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    IMO getting a custom bike isn't so much about getting a frame spec'd to your every whim...

lots of people do that if you want to, but that's not what you should be looking for in picking a brand.

Each brand has their method of producing THEIR frame. The smaller producers, more that ones like Seven or IF, are more about producing a specfic frame, that feels a specific way, and give the rider a specifc kind of feedback.

Any dude w/ a torch can melt tubes together.
    The qualites you find in a small batch company is that they are built by the same welder and using the same custom tube spec's are as much a component of the brand name as the logo on the side.
    Its their art.

That is why places like Vanilla have insane 2 year wait lists... because its one pair of hands creating their art.
    I have yet to ride a lot of custom bikes but the ones I have ridden each have their own personality, and each have been executed to a level of near perfection. Cost is always a factor, but in this realm of high-end bikes, sometimes you have to step away from the hype, and go w/ feel regardless of cost.

mtbr member

Made in...

Per Gene, the Spicer is made in China with a Tiawaneese agent. The Airborne is the same. Also per Gene, the same factory is doing stuff for Litespeed and Merlin. Both have good guarantees backing up their work.

HIYAH
    Merlin made in china? No way...? Maybe bars or something......

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Soulcraft, built in usa they'll do a 29 is you ask nicely.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    One more vote for Walt. He's currently working on my next ride. He sends pics along the way through the build process. And he's a couple weeks early in starting my frame. How often does that happen?! You hear enough horror stories about Deans, Ionics, Jerichos, etc that are 3 months late that it's worth pointing out a builder who's delivers early. And with an excellent product at a great price! I'll post pics when I get her. S

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I think everyone forgot that the original poster indicated his price range was $750-$1200.

Almost every builder mentioned charges upwards of $2k for a ti frame.

Waltworks only does steel but for some reason, those frames don't inspire me. His prices and philosophy are great, and customer satisfaction great too.
    Airborne seems to be a crapshoot. It's not really custom and all accounts say the ti is suspect.

Good luck finding a decent custom ti frame under $1200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Bottom Bracket height?

Could that BB height get any lower?......Should probably not make too tight of a turn, what do you think?

hispanic mechanic

2 cents from the peanut gallery...

If you're looking at 29", and I strongly suggest you do, please make sure you go with someone who rides one, and builds them normally.
    I went with Wily ( www.wilycycles.com ). Brad's been great to work with, and really knows and loves 29" singlespeeds. I'm not sure how down with 29" Curtlo is, but he does build a nice frame.
    I'd say look more seriously into a steel frame made in the U.S. by someone who loves 29" SS bikes- Strong, Waltworks, Wily, Rock Lobster, and others that have been posted here will be able to build you a frame for you that's in your price range.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member

another $.02 worth

i'll second...or was it third? the vote for soulcraft. these guys are incredible to work with. if you want to read it, there's a review in the soulcraft option 3 section (btw, where is the plowboy section for reviews?)

mtbr member

Amish, eh?

Since you mention the Amish... and Mennonites are sorta like 'Amish-light' , then you should consider a builder who works in a Mennonite region, like the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Harrisonburg, maybe?

Hey, I normally don't hype myself like this, but this one seems meant-to-be; ) Hell, I'll even don some suspenders and a sin-sifter, if it'll get me the job.

Steve
    ByStickel Bicycles