Thread: Frame ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Frame ?

OK I read all the faqs and I still have a ?

Can someone with more experience summarize for me the pros and cons of EBBs vs motorcycle style threaded chain tensioners (of which the only design that seems good is the soulcraft one)

I want a lightweight singlespeed for commuting/urban assault/occasional trail riding.

I am lightweight so I would like a more forgiving ride.

My big issue with horizontal drops is the hassle with changing wheels and tires and the potential for wheel slippage. i.e it would be nice to use QR skewers.

Please dont say to just buy the soulcraft...believe me it does seem nice. But at that price point I am too tempted to just buy Ti.

So what frame would you guys suggest?

giddy up!
    [QUOTE=lucifer]OK I read all the faqs and I still have a ?

Can someone with more experience summarize for me the pros and cons of EBBs vs motorcycle style threaded chain tensioners (of which the only design that seems good is the soulcraft one)

What exactly do you mean by "motorcycle style threaded chain tensioners"? Soulcraft makes a singleator type of tensioner, but that's all I know of from them.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=donkey]
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    OK I read all the faqs and I still have a ?

What exactly do you mean by "motorcycle style threaded chain tensioners"? Soulcraft makes a singleator type of tensioner, but that's all I know of from them.
    He means the dropouts used on the SoulCraft frame.

Another option would be Kona/Ground-Up style sliding dropouts.

giddy up!
    Those are actually made by paul, but they are quite nice.

However, having personally used those dropouts, they have the same problems that any horizontal D/O has, IMHO.

I say go EBB

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just went and tested a bianchi sass on my lunch break.
    I actually really liked it. Not sure about the disc brakes and all though. Still it seems nicer equipped than the kona for the same money.
    Obviously its not in league with any high end stuff but it is convenient to not have to build another bike and since I mainly want a city bike how expensive should it really be? I could see myself getting an airborne or a dean or something and getting it stolen...

Still gonna look at the unit and the solo one and anything else someone has stock in a shop. Might consider a high end one still but that sass is a few upgrades away from being a really nice bike.

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004

Nice Bike

I had a DISS for a while and really liked it. I would highly recommend it. The only thing I changed was put clipless pedals on it. The one thing that I didn't like on the DISS is that the rear brake mount was really wimpy. I actually bent it putting the bike in the back of my truck. It was easy to straighten out and wasn't a problem, but it seemed like it could have been beefier.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Don't worry about the brakes on the SASS. Those mechanical disc brakes are about the easiest brakes to set up and maintain that I have ever used, any kind of v brake included. I think all in all the Bianchi is a great deal. I just bought a my first real SS a few weeks ago. I had it narrowed down between the Cannondale 1fg and the SASS, and it was a tough decision. I commute full time (no car) and race so I was looking for a bike that could do both. I test rode both of them and the SASS was going to be a far better commuter I thought because of the rigid fork, the steel frame and the fact that it looked so plain, like just an average bike. The SASS had a very nice ride quality to it too. The cannondale definately is a better racer, but it's something that I would worry about parking infront of certain nieborhoods. I went with the cannondale but I think that I would have been happy with the SASS too. Maybee nest year I'll have both.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah I'm leaning towards the bianchi pretty heavily right now.
    I don't buy cannondales anymore. Yeah they are efficient and light but eventually they break. If i came into a bunch of money or decide to race I'd be tempted to get a dean with an EBB and the interchangeable dropouts. But again youd run into the theft issue. Plus I already have a nukeproof ti hardtail for the serious offroad stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I bought a Unit, frame only, because...

... I wanted discs and easy wheel removal. Haven't finished building it up yet, but it seems nice enough except that it was heavier than I expected.