Fox RL or RLC?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fox RL or RLC?

mtbr member

Fox RL or RLC?

I just got a 29er SS steel frame. I'm now deciding on what fork to get and have isolated my options down to Fox F29 100 Remote or RLC. (My terrain here has plenty of rocky descents I want to be able to enjoy. If not for these, I would get rigid forks.)

My main question is: Is the low speed compression (C) on the fork necessary?

Are the 29er wheels enough to help with the small bumps that I don't need the low speed compression? Does the low speed compression even work? Do I even need low speed compression? Is it mere marketing?

I'm leaning towards the Remote as it has a remote lockout. The remote lockout should help on rolling hills as I won't have time to reach down to turn the knob before the uphill portions again.

Can anyone give a good reason to want/need the low speed compression?
    Last edited by hchchch; 10-22-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Out spokin'
    Personally I prefer my forks without compression damping adjustment. I've never owned a fork that wasn't properly set from the factory for compression. Rebound I'll dial, but not compression.

--Sparty

P.S. That said, the Fox 29er fork that arrived at my house yesterday is the RLC model... but that's only because that's what Fox sent me. I'll leave the "C" dial alone.

P.P.S. One final thought... I s'pose if a guy or gal weighed a LOT or very little, then perhaps that compression adjustment might be a good thing. I seem to be in the sweet spot (195#) so personally I leave it be.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I really like the RL remote I have on my Rig. Easy to use. I have an RLC on my 69er and don't really use the compression much. The adjustable blow off on the RLC lock out is nice though. If you went with a Reba you could have both.

mtbr member
    Just get the RL and save to the extra cash for some thing else. In less you are really anal with you suspension set ups.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Try riding both. When I was shopping for a fork I found that there's quite a noticeable difference between RL and RLC, even if you never touch the compression adjustment. I found the RLC more plush.

mtbr member
    I appreciate all the feedbacks.

I've tried an RLC with my '08 TALAS on my FS 26er and loved it. That's partially the reason why I'm torn between the Remote and RLC, though I've never fully trail-ridden an RL to really understand the difference in feel. The RLC does not have remote lockout though, which seems important in SS — don't want to build momentum on a rocky downhill to tackle a hill and suddenly have to reach down to lock out the suspension for the climb.

Is the Reba worth considering? It does have both remote lockout and compression adjustability.

I'm considering Fox because of the new 15TA standard, and my Kings can only be converted from QR to 15TA. Reba only has QR and 20TA options.

So it comes down to this: QR with Low Speed Compression adjustability — or — 15TA without Low Speed Compression?
    Last edited by hchchch; 10-22-2009 at 07:56 PM.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    I have a reba on my SS, talas 15TA on my geared boinger. The reba is definitely worth considering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hchchch
    I appreciate all the feedbacks.

I've tried an RLC with my '08 TALAS on my FS 26er and loved it. That's partially the reason why I'm torn between the Remote and RLC, though I've never fully trail-ridden an RL to really understand the difference in feel. The RLC does not have remote lockout though, which seems important in SS don't want to build momentum on a rocky downhill to tackle a hill and suddenly have to reach down to lock out the suspension for the climb.

Is the Reba worth considering? It does have both remote lockout and compression adjustability.

I'm considering Fox because of the new 15TA standard, and my Kings can only be converted from QR to 15TA. Reba only has QR and 20TA options.

So it comes down to this: QR with Low Speed Compression adjustability or 15TA without Low Speed Compression?
    If you can get the compression dialed in well then you might not ever need to lockout for climbs.

My Tora has a similar damper to the Reba and I have never had to touch the adjustments and I never have to lock out even on hard climbs. It might bob a little if my form isn't good, but it works well enough that I never have to worry about whether my lockout is on or off. I simply don't have to think about the fork, and that fits well with SSing for me. I've heard the Fox is more than capable of the same thing.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i have the RL on my rig, and it's ok. As mentioned by someone previously, rebound and air preload are more important to me.

mtbr member
    Give me a remote lock-out for SSing. Riding geared I can do without the remote. Thinking about selling my Fox F29RL and getting a Reba w/remote or just going back to rigid when the new G2 Switchblades are available. Trying to reach down and turn the lockout on rough terrain sucks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    Give me a remote lock-out for SSing. Riding geared I can do without the remote. Thinking about selling my Fox F29RL and getting a Reba w/remote or just going back to rigid when the new G2 Switchblades are available. Trying to reach down and turn the lockout on rough terrain sucks.
    I added the Fox remote to my F29 RL and it's nice. It might be cheaper than buying a new fork. it cost me around $120 to $140 for the parts. I can put you in touch with the shop that sold it to me if you want them to check if the kit is still available. I've heard reports that Fox doesn't sell it anymore. The install was fairly easy too.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by hchchch
    Can anyone give a good reason to want/need the low speed compression?
    I really like the compression damping feature on my 09 F100 RLC (26). Most of the time I run it with 3 clicks in.

I found that if I stiffen it up enough with air pressure, it loses its suppleness on the bumps. The compression damper is really handy to stiffen it for races / fast rides / climbs, and release it if you want a mellower ride without jacking around with air pressures all the time. It's stays more active than by using the lockout lever.

It's not a perfect fork, but all the little knobs allow you to optimize it for a wide variety of terrain and tweak it trailside without carrying a pump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, remote rocks. I can sell you this at $100 And with a FOX emblame it looks totally official. Yes the remote lever is made by Shimano too, it's official, you know.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="https://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=https://vid51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/hatakey/PA230120.flv">

My SS seems to be a junks magnet. I added probably 7 lb since I built this one up for fun

Members who have read this thread: 0