Fox or rigid on my SS?- Mtbr.com
    Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

Fox or rigid on my SS?

I'm a SS rider at heart. I've been doing it for about 4 years. I have a 1x9 for super hilly stuff, but i avoid going there.
    I ride a Santa Cruz Chameleon hardtail.
    It has a nice Fox fork on it, for now.
    I have a carbon rigid fork tauntiing me in garage.
    I feel like having a suspension fork on my SS is cheating, and i need to "man up".
    I plan on adding the rigid fork this weekend.
    Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    I love riding rigid.

Give it a try.

And give it a chance.

Higher volume front tire.

Tubeless so you can keep the pressure low.

SPP
    Rigid.

Did I catch a niner+?
    If you already have the parts just give it a try rigid and see what happens. And having a rigid fork on a SS bike is cheating more then a suspension fork.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Yo.
    Source a second brake for the rigid fork. Set it up and leave it on there.

Swap forks as trail conditions or machismo dictates.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member
    Variety is the spice of life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Fox. The hard tail is hard enough on my teeth.

Robtre
    I have recently gone back to rigid riding. I was training for a race on a course that I couldent do rigid because of the roots. I rode with my friend Wednesday who is pretty fast on his FS geared bike and I easily beat him especially on the climbing. He defintely goes downhill faster than me (crashes frequently) but I am catching up. Rigid downhill is tough on my hands and wrists. I try to hop over roots and such and this is making me faster. I cetainly have more fun riding rigid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm on the rigid bandwagon right now as it provides some great needed reminders about picking a line. I'm having a ton of fun on it, but I'm not all about speed but just enjoying the simplicity of it.

Overall, single speed rigid has gotten me back to riding regularly.

mtbr member
    I had my heart set on a Fox Terralogic this year, but they stopped making them. I'm trying out a cheap Chinese carbon ridgid fork untill the Terralogic is hopefully re-introduced sometime in the future (and made lighter!).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    If you already have the parts just give it a try rigid and see what happens. And having a rigid fork on a SS bike is cheating more then a suspension fork.
    +1 on both points. All the swap would take is an extra crown race and maybe 30 minutes to switch.

A suspension fork is heavier and bobs more even when locked out (at least my Rockshox does). It does smooth out the ride for downhills or when putting the power down on some of the chattery trails.

A rigid fork is lighter and all of your mashing power will go directly into the ground. Its a bit jarring. But, you point the front end and it will go that direction.

I currently prefer to ride my rigid SS 9ber. But, my 1x9 short travel hardtail has it's place as well. It all depends on where i'm riding and how i feel that day (usually my SS, though).

mtbr member
    I rode my single speed rigid for about a year. As I got better (faster) I started to get real sore after even the shortest of rides. I ended up picking up a cheap-o f100 and it has helped my wrists/arms a ton. That said, after riding rigid for so long, you never really forget what its like to really hammer on the bars and not lose any power to the squish of the fork. I find myself locking out my fork a lot to try and get that back, but the lockout isn't perfect. I think about putting the fork back on every now and then, but the tradeoff isn't worth it for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There's a Fox on both of my single speeds. The rattling with a rigid fork is just too rough on me, and really takes the fun out of it.

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    Your thoughts?
    You have two forks. Use'em as you need'em.

mtbr member
    I took the heavy Rockshox Tora off a few months ago and went fully rigid on my 26" singlespeed. I have no plans on going back to it, my bike lost 3 lbs. and I am having even more fun on it!
    MTB Rob was taken!

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    Sorry, i wasn't clear. My current SS has the Fox.
    Prior builds were a rigid hardtails, rode it for a few years. Loved it.
    New build gets a the Fox until the new fork comes in.
    I was wondering what most people were doing with theirs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    both of my mountain bikes have FOX forks... rigid is just not for me, but it's may be because I have not tried the fat front version
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dont know what terrain you ride on so its hard to say. But it sounds like you enjoyed riding rigid if you did it for 4 years. For me rigid is the way to go. Everything you put in goes to the rear wheel. I have a steel frame 29er with a carbon fork. Between that, a high volume tire and low pressure, its not jarring at all.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

Yo.

I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1 View Post
    Sorry, i wasn't clear. My current SS has the Fox.
    Prior builds were a rigid hardtails, rode it for a few years. Loved it.
    New build gets a the Fox until the new fork comes in.
    I was wondering what most people were doing with theirs.
    My SS has both a rigid fork and a suspension fork. That's how I roll.

Check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead. ;)

mtbr member
    After riding a couple 80mm HT's and my 5 inch trail bike, I got to thinking a 100mm HT 29er might be just the thing. And it is, and it's perfect, for ME.

I can see the attraction of a rigid, but at 43 it's a little harsh for me, especially as I love to bomb DH. Be fun to try though when I upgrade to the Luke Skywalker robot forearms!
    Not without incident.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_CLG View Post
    I'm having a ton of fun on it, but I'm not all about speed but just enjoying the simplicity of it.
    This.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Save the suspension for your DH rig. Ride rigid.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    About every 4 months or so, I put the rigid fork on my SIR9. Then I take it back off after one ride and put the Fox back on. I like to go really, really, fast downhill. I can go about 95% speed with the rigid, but my eyes get blurry and it feels like my flesh is going to get rattled off my bones. Fat tires, body english, and picking a line can only do so much. After that, it's just masochism.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What are your trails like and do you ride the same park a lot? Rigid can make the same tired trails seem more exciting again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have both a rigid carbon fork and a Fox F29RL with remote lock out. The remote is nice - rigid for climbs, open for the DH, even when the climb is only 20 ft long. The rigid fork is fun in that it is super light and makes lofting the front over obstacles and roots very easy, but it is still a rigid fork so it stubs into roots and rocks more where the suspension fork will soak them up and roll over. I agree that rigid makes old trails new again.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I have been riding/racing my SS with a suspension fork after 2 years of riding rigid.

Overall, Im faster with suspension.

But next week Im finishing up my geared race bike so Ill put the rigid fork back on the SS. Its going to be a happy day fo sho.

In all, If you are riding for fun, go rigid! But if you are racing, do whatever is faster for you!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Dive Bomber
    I have question regarding alu rigid fork.

Sometime even suspension fork got twisted when you brake.
    I wonder if it's strong/safe enough for disc brake? Or I should use V-brake instead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post
    I have question regarding alu rigid fork.

Sometime even suspension fork got twisted when you brake.
    I wonder if it's strong/safe enough for disc brake? Or I should use V-brake instead?
    I'm rolling on an Carbon Cycles / Exotic aluminum 44.5cm fork on my 1996 v brake Trek 7000 single speed.

I would highly recommend it....I went with aluminum instead of the carbon fiber version because I am a Clyde at 215 lbs. and don't want to push its 215 weight limit.

I would buy one again, not as stiff as one would imagine, it actually rides nice with just enough "give" I would not hesitate to run it with a disk brake.
    Last edited by borbntm; 06-05-2012 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've run both alum and now run carbon forks/stem/bars. I'm 180ish on a bad day and never had a problem. I run 180's now, but have run 160's for a while before these and even ran 210's for a short bit as a quick temporary swap with a set of Maguras when my avid's imploded over the winter.

HOV
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
    Source a second brake for the rigid fork. Set it up and leave it on there.

Swap forks as trail conditions or machismo dictates.
    Yup, best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie View Post
    My SS has both a rigid fork and a suspension fork. That's how I roll.

Check it out.
    Sweeeeet. I love me a lugged frame.

OP: I built a rigid SS 29er, which feels fantastic and is great for 90% of the trails out here. But my favorite trail is a bonecrusher at the end; when riding it rigid I end up with quivering lip and eyes welling with tears like baby bunny. Thus I built a second SS 29er, this one with a suspension fork.

Two is one, one is none. Nice to have a couple of options, and a backup.

Dive Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by borbntm View Post
    I'm rolling on an Carbon Cycles / Exotic aluminum 44.5cm fork on my 1996 v brake Trek 7000 single speed.

I would highly recommend it....I went with aluminum instead of the carbon fiber version because I am a Clyde at 215 lbs. and don't want to push its 215 weight limit.

I would buy one again, not as stiff as one would imagine, it actually rides nice with just enough "give" I would not hesitate to run it with a disk brake.
    Thanks.
    I'll try get one, I think Mosso is all I got here.
    I just want have lighter bike this time.

mtbr member
    Ride what you like and are comfortable with. For me, that's a SS with front sus...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I had the same question....

four months ago when I built up my sir9 ss, was trying to decide between a reba with 15mm Maxle or rigid niner fork, I fould a cheeeeap steel rigid niner fork on ebay in the right colour and snatched it up thinking "I'll try it for a couple of months and then I can go squish if I want".
    For the first two months it was hard going, I was noticable slower, I blew out my front tyre (tubeless, actually tore the tyre) and then went to a tube cause i couldn't afford a new tyre, but then proceeded to blow out tubes every second ride for a month. so spent a bit on tubes
    Anyway the last month and a half I have just got faster and faster (am now riding my usual laps faster than I ever have) all that pick your line and light arms carry on is working!
    In saying that when I race (I race and ride pretty hard) especially longer races (12hr, 24hr, 100 etc) I really feel it! my body just hurts, arms, back all of it.
    I still think I'll get a reba some time but not rushing to it right now.
    So I guess what I am saying is depends what you ride and how hard?
    'One Mind, One Gear, One Love'

Single Speed Junkie
    First adult bike I bought (20 years back) came with a suspension fork. While not to the level they are today still suspension. Been riding SS for nearly 15 years and mostly have had a suspension fork for 14 of those years. Switched out to a rigid fork last year and got the crap beaten out of me by the trail. Then I learned to take some weight off the front end a little more and the rigid bike became more enjoyable. Now I go back and forth, but find taking the rigid out more enjoyable and calming (mentally) over having a front suspension. Over the same terrain / trails it really shows one how to better pick a line and if not there is immediate feedback.

Members who have read this thread: 0