Hairy man

Forte tensioner, can you make it push up?

Howdy. I just converted my Rockhopper to SS with the Forte kit, and it's working out very well I think, but I did get some chain slippage while climbing a very steep section. I could get some more wrap by getting the tensioner to push up instead of down. I spent some time fiddling with the tensioner today and couldn't figure it out, and I was wondering if any of you gurus has figured out a trick to get the Forte tensioner to push up?

Thanks.
    We all get it in the end.

Knuckle Smuggler
    Are you sure it is the chain slipping on the cog? Could the pawls in your freehub be slipping?

Knuckle Smuggler
    Check your PM's...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can you take a pic of your bike? Mine did this until I took out a couple more chain links so the tensioner was more horizontal. That way the chain has more rap on the rear cog and sinew then, no slippage. Here is a pic of mine....

2012 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO carbon 29 2010 felt solo nine SS, 1994 Zaskar ,1995 GT Pantera, 2001 Hive Ti SS....

Hairy man
    Thanks people. Cholo, I didn't even think that the pawls in my freehub could be slipping. I'll drop a line tomorrow.

Iron Horseman: That's about the angle I'm at now. I don't think I could take another link out, and I already have a halflink in.

It's not terrible, it was only slipping on short very steep stretch. I did a bunch of climbing and it worked perfectly.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Use a zip tie to pull it up against the spring tension. Keep spare zips in your tool bag.

Members who have read this thread: 0