thecentralscrutinizer

Forte SS conversion kit.

I did a search and saw some people were using this kit. I'm curious how they have held up over time.

I'm going to convert my Kona XC bike to a rigid SS this fall and I don't want to sink a bunch of money in wheels and such.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

mtbr member
    I've been using my kit for about 4 months, probably 100-150 miles on the trails. I'm currently running a 32:20 setup, and it works great for my weak self. It was a great, inexpensive way for me to try single speeding, and I love it. At some point I'll upgrade the crankset, chainring, rear cog, spacer setup, and tensioner, but it works fine for now. My only problem is when I put the 16t on for the street, I get some chain slippage, although that might be a chain length issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been using one on a road SS I built recently. I switched out the pulley to a carmichael and used a 9spd ring from a cassette I drimmeled apart. Tension is good and the hub spacers work just fine.

Mischievous Badger
    I had this kit and ultimately changed my tensioner over to the DMR STS. I had to modify the Forte to work in the push-up position due to chain slippage, so I thought why not just get a tensioner that was designed to work in the push-up position outright? So I did. I've been extremely happy with the DMR and it is noticeably quieter than the Forte.

Having said all that, I should also state that I only experienced the chain derailing once on the Forte, never really had any problems with it, and my choice to switch was more on a whim than due to having a bad experience with the Forte.

Good luck with your conversion!

Members who have read this thread: 0