Is this fork toast?- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

New question here. Is this fork toast?

This is the Marzocchi Superfly shock I sent to Marzzochi for rebuild. They called me and said the fork was "done." At first I thought the shock was finished being rebuilt, but the tech explained the stanchion tubes were corroded at the crown and needs new tubes, which they don't have (They have offered me a new 44 TST2 Air with a reduced 80mm travel for $220.00) they further said I should not use the shock and even made my wife, who was down in Canyon Country and picked it up, promise not to let me use the shock. I've sense bought a cheap Marzocchi 100mm shock to keep the bike rideable, but I am still in the market for an Xfly. Still I looked at the stanchion tubes and the right tube has one rather deep corrosion spot, but I can't find anything else wrong (the photo is of the stanchion tube partially pulled out of the crown. What do you think? I believe Marzocchi felt that if there was one spot this bad, there must be more, but I don't anything else wrong.

PS, the 44TST2 sounds good, but I don't have funds right now, I may reconsider later this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this fork toast?-img_4109.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    the guys down at the VRC forum probably can give you a better answer and might have some replacement parts for your fork
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Out spokin'
    Does that corrosion pit line up with the bottom of the crown when it's installed, Brad? Personally I wouldn't ride it... stress riser city.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Does that corrosion pit line up with the bottom of the crown when it's installed, Brad? Personally I wouldn't ride it... stress riser city.

--sParty
    Ah yes

mtbr member
    Not to bag on your LBS Tech.... But, go get a second opinion. Happy Trails
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by justonegear
    Not to bag on your LBS Tech.... But, go get a second opinion. Happy Trails
    It was not my LBS it was the Marzocchi Tech in Canyon Country. Anyway, I've decided not to use the shock and maybe later trading it for a new one. Until than I bought a Marzocchi EXR Pro on ebay for $40. Unfortunately it turned out the steerer was bent so it's back to the drawing board. I found a few Manitou forks that might do the trick; granted a Manitou is not a Marzocchi, but it won't be pushed to hard as it's for my 12 YO.
    Last edited by aka brad; 12-28-2010 at 11:15 AM.

nothing to see here
    proper fork toast

I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Looks like a tell-tale sign to me. I wouldn't ride it.

Retro Grouch
    It looks like the fork may be resurrected. I found a guy that makes it his life's worth to keep old Marzocchi Bombers alive. He says he buys a large number of old Marzocchi forks and uses the parts to repair and rebuild. He says he has replacement stanchions for my and the price for the new parts and a rebuild is just a little over was Marzocchi charges for just a rebuild. I just mailed the shock today and I'll advise when I get it back..

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

Does this "guy" have a x-ray machine?

Seriously, My dad worked on oil rigs in the gulf. They x-ray pipe welds. Aircraft body rivets on 25 yr old 747's are x-rayed. You are only risking YOU. You are worth a new, Modern engineered fork. Stop screwing around. I also love old stuff but not a fork if you ride single track or next to cars on the way to singletrack. Fireroads at 35 mph with front brake forces? You need to know whats going on at the molecular level of these vintage tubes and at that price it's cheaper to buy new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    I believe Marzocchi felt that if there was one spot this bad, there must be more, but I don't anything else wrong.
    Sometimes you can't see all of the corrosion with the naked eye. I work in the power industry and we routinely have checks for material fatigue and corrosion. Normally you need the help of a dye or x-rays to see what is really going on. I believe the guys at Marzocchi are making a very safe assumption that the material is beyond it's useful life. I am sure that they have ran into this before and know what to look for. If you can get it rebuilt for cheap that is great but you may quickly run into the same problem. I have never seen or met someone who has experienced a failed fork but I am sure the consequences are severe.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    It looks like the fork may be resurrected. I found a guy that makes it his life's worth to keep old Marzocchi Bombers alive. He says he buys a large number of old Marzocchi forks and uses the parts to repair and rebuild. He says he has replacement stanchions for my and the price for the new parts and a rebuild is just a little over was Marzocchi charges for just a rebuild. I just mailed the shock today and I'll advise when I get it back..
    hope his name isn't ernesto

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002
    hope his name isn't ernesto
    No his name is Mark Pieropan. He sells his rebuilt Marzocchi shocks on ebay. I actually bought (Buy it Now) a fork from him then I got the idea of him fixing my Superfly. We had an email exchange and he was gracious enough to put the shock I bought back on ebay and offered to use the money I paid to rebuild my Superfly. I sent my fork off yesterday and hope to get it back next week. Here's an example of one of his <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/MARZOCCHI-Shiver-SC-w-ECC-10-5-steerer-SWEEET-/180604990203?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=ite m2a0ce572fb"> auctions </a>. He seems pretty committed to what he is going.

Members who have read this thread: 1