Fork Off (xpost)- Mtbr.com
    SSasquatch

Fork Off (xpost)

I was nearing the end of a nice wet ride last night when I started to hear a strange squeak that seemed to be coming from the front brake. I chocked it up to the mud and grim that had accumulated over the course of the ride so I didn't think anything of it. I pulled into the parking area and a guy that I normally ride with was just getting there so I pull up along side his car and stopped to say hi. He immediately says "Whats with your front end?". I looked down and didn't notice anything, but when I got off the bike I found that the left fork stantion was cracked almost all the way through I am kind of freaked out thinking about the carnage that could have happened had that failed on the trail.

Anyway, the fork was a Kona P2 29er disc fork and I don't think I can really complain about the thing since I have been beating on it hard for about 1.5 years. I certainly have gotten my money's worth and it seemed like a good fork (maybe you really do get what you pay for), but the question is:
    Should I buy another one of these forks or should I try something else? I want something strong and reasonably light, but would much rather sacrifice a few grams for safety.
    Does anyone have any experience with the strength of these forks vs Karate Monkey or Salsa Cromoto Grande?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bummer dude,

that kind of worries me a bit since i just built up one of those green Zion frames with that same fork as well.

I would talk to kona since that seems like a manufacturing defect to fail like that, but who knows how it works if its not on an OEM bike

Glad you didn't find out about the fork the hard way though

SSasquatch
    I just feel lucky that I'm not in the hospital recovering from forkndectomy. I don't really think that this is any fault of Kona... There is only so much a material will take and I have certainly put it through it's paces. 1.5 seasons of racing and 3k+ hard offroad miles.

mtbr member

Ygbfkm

There is no way a non-lightweight steel fork should fail after the amount of use you describe. If it wasn't crash damaged, it is faulty and is most certainly Kona's fault.

SSasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterBreath
    There is no way a non-lightweight steel fork should fail after the amount of use you describe. If it wasn't crash damaged, it is faulty and is most certainly Kona's fault.
    You may be right, I just don't know. I am heading over to Bikeman tomorrow to replace the fork with a new one and I'll see what they think (I bought it there originally). Obviously I wouldn't turn down a warranty replacement, but $70 for 1.5 years of fun doesn't seem too bad.
    As far as crash damage goes, it seems to me that the way in which it is broken would be hard to do in a crash. I would think most fork crash damage is done by hitting things head on (like a wall, or large rock), and that would cause the crack/tear to run front to back instead of back to front as in this case.

ridin' Mary
    Cannondale makes the "lefty", and you just made the "righty". Trademark it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Surly 1x1 fork seems to be rock solid for the money (~$80), but they are pretty heavy for rigid forks.

SSasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhand
    Surly 1x1 fork seems to be rock solid for the money (~$80), but they are pretty heavy for rigid forks.
    I might be wrong, but I thought the 1x1 is a 26" specific fork. I am going to compare the Salsa Cromoto, Surley Karate Monkey, and a new Kona P2 tomorrow over at Bikeman to see the differences and see if they think this failure was a manufacturing defect.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by galleywench
    I might be wrong, but I thought the 1x1 is a 26" specific fork. I am going to compare the Salsa Cromoto, Surley Karate Monkey, and a new Kona P2 tomorrow over at Bikeman to see the differences and see if they think this failure was a manufacturing defect.
    Sorry. On second read, I see you said 29er. I'm just not used to so many people all riding 29".

Members who have read this thread: 0