Fork decisions cromoto grande vs. chinese carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Fork decisions cromoto grande vs. chinese carbon

Apparently the two forks I already have are too short in the steerer. I did the math on the stack and no dice.

So which fork do I get? I can pick up a used cromoto grande up off of ebay for around $125, maybe less if I am patient. Some decent looking, tapered, thru axle chinese carbon forks are going for about $132.

What should I get for the carbon superfly Ss that will be here next week? I am 147 lbs on the scale just this morning. I dream of being a weight weenie but I am too poor for that. I value reliabilty but am drawn to the lower weight and look of the carbon.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The cromoto is nice, the one I have has reversed drop outs, cable guides, rack mounts, I think it's good for 180mm of rotor. I trust it to hold my front end together when I'm bumping around. You can save weight on the front end with a good wheel/tire choice, then stem/bar and silicone grips. I wouldn't focus on bike weight until it looks like something is an obstacle to the podium. Work on your skills and strength, that's what moves the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a cromoto that I just got and used a tiny bit on my carve. Id use it but the steerer is like 2mm too short I think. It's definitley beefy compared to the chisel fork that was on it before.

Just seems weird putting a steel fork on a full carbon bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Chromoto. I don't trust cheap cabon.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    If there's one place to go with cheap carbon, it's definitely the fork! I mean, it's still carbon, amirite?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was thinking fork stem and handlebar... I have great dental coverage :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Doing more research....

all the aluminum steerer carbon legged forks such as eXotic and carver weigh in over 900g - just 200g ish from a cromoto

the chinese full carbon deals range from 510-700g - so 1/2 - 3/4 of a cromoto

To me it doesn't make sense to go carbon unless it's full carbon. The chinese carbon is very polarizing. It seems some are in the "everything is made in china" camp and others in the "if it's cheap, it will break" camp.

But the cromoto will look ridiculous on this frame :-(

Anyone voting for the chinese carbon...or even better have a 15mm T/A fork laying around for me to buy with a lot of steerer?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    I have a cromoto that I just got and used a tiny bit on my carve. Id use it but the steerer is like 2mm too short I think.
    You're worrying about 2mm (so 0.080") steerer length? Or just use a stem that has slightly less stack height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    On recalculation (see below) I am about 8mm off at best. :-(

Part of the issue is the need for a external bearing cup for the bottom on the superfly so I can use a tapered fork. This adds quite a bit of stack.
    Here is what I calculated, let me know if you think I might be able to use what I have...

Bottom Cup (external) 12mm
    Head Tube 117.5 mm
    Top Assembly 8mm (if I can use the zs44 short top assembly)
    Stems are all 38 - 39.75 mm

total = 177mm or 6.97 inches

Current Forks:
    Manitou Marvel LTD 100mm fork - 6.565 inches or 166.75mm
    Salsa CroMoto Grande Rigid - 6.75 inches 171.5mm

So currently I am 8.5mm off from the minimum.

mtbr member
    With a 38mm stem you end up with a total of 175.5mm - steerer on the Salsa's is 171.5mm which gives you 4mm clear at the top of the stem. Personally, I'd happily run with that as long as the upper pinch bolt is below the top of the steerer tube, which I imagine it will be?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll certainly give it a try first.

The question still remains assuming it will not be good enough.

Thanks for the thought, at least there is a chance I won't have to go fork shopping for a while.

mtbr member
    Assemble it all, preload it and tighten the steerer and then remove the top preload cap and measure it. Anything up to 4mm will be fine IMHO.