Fork Choice???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork Choice???

mtbr member

New question here. Fork Choice???

I find myself in the VERY lucky position of being on the brink of buying/building up a new Single for my quiver! I am quite certain that I want a steel ride with disc brakes, and a fork... I like the beauty or principle that is Single Speeds, but I'm NOT old school. One of the missing links though in my fantasy scheming is... Which Fork should I choose and be hunting for?

So, for you experienced SS riders, is a stable platform fork the right way to go because I've been having visions of a Fox Terralogic or a Manitou Minute Fork mounted to the front... Any thoughts on these two forks, or better options???

Thanks!
    Tony.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode manitou forks for years and switched to fox when the float came out. I will tell You that I will never use anything else but fox! I have been using My float for a few years now and it still just plain rocks! I put a vanilla on My newest SS and besides the weight it works even better! I will tell you to go fox, nothing else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearless
    I rode manitou forks for years and switched to fox when the float came out. I will tell You that I will never use anything else but fox! I have been using My float for a few years now and it still just plain rocks! I put a vanilla on My newest SS and besides the weight it works even better! I will tell you to go fox, nothing else.
    I appreciate the commentary on the quality between the brands (although EVERYTHING I've ever heard or read said the same thing you did here)... What I was particularly wondering about though is Stable Platform Forks performing in coordination with a Hardtail/SS... I also am wondering out loud as most of these forks are 100mm travel at a minimum and I'm concerned that most frames aren't built for that travel...

More thoughts??? anyone???

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Fox Vanilla RL

I put a Fox Vanilla RL on my SISS and have it set @ 100mm - I like it a lot on the rocky decents and on flats & climbs I just lock in out! Sweeeeet Ride! Fox is pretty stable.

mtbr member

Good job! Fox 80X

I was fortunate enough to be in the same position as you last year and built up my dream SS, a Soulcraft with Disc brakes and the Fox F80x. All I can say about the fork is WOW! It's awesome to have it lock out on the climbs and also work fantastic on the downhill. IMHO the perfect SS fork. Here is my bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I was fortunate enough to be in the same position as you last year and built up my dream SS, a Soulcraft with Disc brakes and the Fox F80x. All I can say about the fork is WOW! It's awesome to have it lock out on the climbs and also work fantastic on the downhill. IMHO the perfect SS fork. Here is my bike
    Humanah, Humanah, Humanah, Humanah, Humanah, Humanah!!!

It seems wrong and dirty in a sense to lust another man's ride, but DANG! That is 95% exactly what I've been jonesin' for!

Thanks for the feedback... Seems like I need to start hunting for a Fox Forx... hopefully Terralogic, if not Float RLC!

T.

mtbr member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sengert
    Humanah, Humanah, Humanah, Humanah, Humanah, Humanah!!!

It seems wrong and dirty in a sense to lust another man's ride, but DANG! That is 95% exactly what I've been jonesin' for!

Thanks for the feedback... Seems like I need to start hunting for a Fox Forx... hopefully Terralogic, if not Float RLC!

T.
    Couple things, I have the float on my FS bike and it's great, BUT the Terralogic is the way to go on the SS, there is a big differance!
    Also call Matt at Soulcraft, he's great

ol'guy who says hi &waves

Fox F80x Terralogic

Quote Originally Posted by sengert
    I find myself in the VERY lucky position of being on the brink of buying/building up a new Single for my quiver! I am quite certain that I want a steel ride with disc brakes, and a fork... I like the beauty or principle that is Single Speeds, but I'm NOT old school. One of the missing links though in my fantasy scheming is... Which Fork should I choose and be hunting for?

So, for you experienced SS riders, is a stable platform fork the right way to go because I've been having visions of a Fox Terralogic or a Manitou Minute Fork mounted to the front... Any thoughts on these two forks, or better options???

Thanks!
    Tony.
    ......makes me better rider than I really am. Rigid goin' up, soft goin' down.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.