Fork Advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork Advice

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Fork Advice

Hey guys......

I was hoping to get some input on a new fork for my Chameleon. As some of you may know I just got the bike. It came with a Manitou Elite Black fork on it.The problem I am having with it is it is like a soft sponge when I stand up and crank on the pedals. This SS stuff is new to me so I was hoping to get some input from a group of actual guys rather than retailers selling forks. I am running a Fox 100RLT on my Blur and really like that fork. I guess what I am looking for is something with a lockout like the F100 has. I have been looking at the F100X real close. I am also open to a rigid fork if it would not beat my 41 year old body to death. Maybe Titanium (Sibex)? How about the White lineup also? I ride mostly singletrack, but will run this bike on hilly road rides for training upwards of 50 miles. Any input or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member

I ride rigid on my SS for this reason...

but I have a Reba Team with the Pop-Loc on my dually. I always thought that fork would make the ultimate SS suspension fork with it set at 85mm travel and the handlebar mounted lockout (Pop-Loc). If I ever get around to racing the SS in endurance events, I'll be putting one on it. The only drawback I can see is the fact that Rebas are DISC brake only. If you were planning on running a disc on the front anyway...give them a look.

formerly Giantxc
    I run my SS with a Spicer Ti fork and have been very happy with it. He can have one made for you with a 100mm axle-crown length if you 'd like.

I also have a Fox F100X on my geary. If I had the cash to throw down for a squishy fork for my SS it would be another Fox terralogic. It tracks very well and the terralogic lock out is wonderful requiring no thought once its set up. That said it takes a little while to get used to when it is going to open up. Until then you might find yourself expecting a rigid and getting a squishy or vice versa! I've heard a few people have had problems with leaky seals, but have yet to experience them yet.

Mike

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Spicer Ti

I highly recommend the Spicer ti rigid fork. I have been running one on my BUSS for over a year now and it has performed flawlessly. Super light (mine weighed 1.15 lbs weighed on a highly calibrated scale at work), very compliant and dependable. I raced it all season last year on my SS and hit the podium 4 times. Swapped it onto my hardtail geary for a race and podiumed again. It's the best fork around in my opinion, especially when you consider quality and durability vs. dollars spent. They are $249.00. Gene Spicer is a great guy and stands behind his product. I ride regularly over very rough technical trails (Colorado Rocky Mtn area) and it continues to hold up. If you want a lightweight climbing machine this fork is the ticket.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT
    I highly recommend the Spicer ti rigid fork. I have been running one on my BUSS for over a year now and it has performed flawlessly. Super light (mine weighed 1.15 lbs weighed on a highly calibrated scale at work), very compliant and dependable. I raced it all season last year on my SS and hit the podium 4 times. Swapped it onto my hardtail geary for a race and podiumed again. It's the best fork around in my opinion, especially when you consider quality and durability vs. dollars spent. They are $249.00. Gene Spicer is a great guy and stands behind his product. I ride regularly over very rough technical trails (Colorado Rocky Mtn area) and it continues to hold up. If you want a lightweight climbing machine this fork is the ticket.
    I have no aversion to a rigid fork I don't think. That is a nice looking fork. I would save a few bucks also ;-) Do you guys think this would work ok on a Chameleon being an aluminum frame? Not that it should matter, but I am just wondering about what I don't know if that makes sense.

Mashers Only!!
    Go with the 80X or the 100X. Don't get me wrong. I have a carbon rigid fork, a steel rigid fork and 3 80Xs. There is nothing like riding rigid. So predictable. But let me tell ya the X series forks from Fox rock!!!! The best of both worlds. Spend the money and go Fox!!

HUGH