Which fork??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which fork??

Trail Junkie

Which fork??

Hey guys, building up SS for my girl, actually this will be her first build, and it will be a rigid. The frame we are using is a Misfit diSSent size small. We have a couple options of forks available to us: White Brothers Rock Solid, and Origin8 Black Ops, but we don't want to completely limit it to those to choices.

What I am looking for is a comparison between some of the different forks that meet our criteria: ~465 A/C, ~42 Offset, carbon legged, $200 or less. The information we are mostly after is the ride quality comparison between some of the different forks in this range as far as ride quality. We know they all are manufactured under the same shack..but I guess there are differences..so far my list consists of:

White Brothers Rock Solid 29er
    Exotic 29er Rigid Carbon
    Origin8 Black Ops
    On-One 29" Carbon fork
    On-One 29" Race (everything that I am seeing says its sold out)

Looking forward to all available input!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Gigantic Hawk
    I don't remember, but the On-One forks may be tapered steer tube which won't fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been riding the black ops for 2yrs now on 2 different single-speeds and love it.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Not on your list, but maybe it should be:

Salsa CroMoto Grande

It'll weigh a little more, cost a little less, but arguable ride a little nicer.

Trail Junkie
    Thanks for the input thus far!

The On-One Carbon 29 is a straight 1-1/8", The race model tapered, so I guess that one should be out.

I am actually for some reason siding with the Black Ops for her because of it's compliance vs the WB Rock Solid although the Rock Solid is a much cheaper option available to us...probably too good of a deal to pass up, but we still want comfort and be weight conscious.

I am not sure about the Salsa, I would actually like to try one to compare it to carbon!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    I don't think any of the tubed carbon forks ride well, my black ops was really stiff. I'd be surprised if you could actually tell a difference in ride quality of these ones you listed. I'd suggest the salsa as well, it's a good, inexpensive option

Gigantic Hawk
    Aren't the Black Ops and the White Brothers the same fork? $300 would get you a sweet custom made fork by Walt of Waltworks. As posted above, the Salsa is a great deal.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    Aren't the Black Ops and the White Brothers the same fork? $300 would get you a sweet custom made fork by Walt of Waltworks. As posted above, the Salsa is a great deal.
    From what I am hearing from some users is that the WB Rock Solid is stiff than the Black Ops, and use a different carbon layup.

The deal we have on the table is $100 for a WB Rock Solid that was only used 4 times or
    $165 for the Black Ops brand new uncut steer.

Since this won't be a full time "Go-to" bike, we are actually siding with the WB's fork due to the price and reliability. If the fork was going to be used full time, we'd probably move towards a steel/custom steel option.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Gigantic Hawk
    As long as the WB steerer is long enough and there aren't any nicks to the carbon, I'd say that's a good deal.

mtbr member
    I had the Exotic on my Jabber and the Sir9 before it. It didn't stay on either bike long because it was painful and unforgiving. I recently put a steel Salsa fork on my Jabber and it's been a beautiful thing. I've been able to ride SSAZ and the Whiskey 50 in comfort and can't imagine going back to carbon.
    Cheers,
    M

Members who have read this thread: 0