Flippin' a cog/ring = new life?- Mtbr.com
    drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Flippin' a cog/ring = new life?

I know this sounds kinda silly, but since I've never tried it, I'd like to know if any of you have, with good results:

Can you simply flip a symmetrical chainring (e.g., Surly or Salsa) or cog (e.g., King, Surly, Endless) over and expect it to work like new?

If you look at the tooth profile of cog or chainring, the side of the tooth that takes the load deforms over time (and ends up looking like a "sharktooth" if you let it go long enough). However, the other side of the tooth remains perfect. My concern is that the "valley" or "trench" between teeth gets deformed enough that a good mesh with a new chain is compromised. So if you have done the flipping thing, did you change your chain as well?

TIA!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    I know this sounds kinda silly, but since I've never tried it, I'd like to know if any of you have, with good results:

Can you simply flip a symmetrical chainring (e.g., Surly or Salsa) or cog (e.g., King, Surly, Endless) over and expect it to work like new?

If you look at the tooth profile of cog or chainring, the side of the tooth that takes the load deforms over time (and ends up looking like a "sharktooth" if you let it go long enough). However, the other side of the tooth remains perfect. My concern is that the "valley" or "trench" between teeth gets deformed enough that a good mesh with a new chain is compromised. So if you have done the flipping thing, did you change your chain as well?

TIA!
    Not silly, it works - remember Surly is non-symmetric side to side so your chainline needs adjusting.

I change my chain when it's worn. I use a BMX quick link so I can unhook the chain, soak it, clean it, etc. I have a new chain hanging from a nail, I hang the old chain on the same nail, if the old chain is stretched more than one pin width (on its entire length) I toss it.

DiscoCowboy

Such a philistine thing to do...

what's wrong with you? Just order another boone and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil

TIA!

Misfit Psycles
    perhaps it is too late but another penny pincher is to rotate the ring once and a while. 1/4 turn at a time. it evenly spreads the wear.

flipping the ring works for a while after but remember the teeth (if worn) will be thinner and more prone to breakage...run them till they are round i say!
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Members who have read this thread: 0