Flip-Flop rear hub, how many use them?- Mtbr.com
    Cynical Bystander

Flip-Flop rear hub, how many use them?

Are these a good idea for getting your ss bike capable of more riding? I'm new to the SS world and am looking for ideas to help build my frame. Also, for those that do, what gear ratios are you using and what are the different sized rings you have on the hub? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

I have always used the Surly flip flop

I have never flopped it on my single though.I keep a 18 tooth fixed cog on the other side as a backup gear if my freewheel craps out.It's kind of a pain to flip.
    On my cross bike:One side is 16 fixed the other side is 22 freewheel and I have quick releases.I have to add chain to flip.A couple sram quicklinks do the trick.
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member

I use the ...

Eric's ENO hub on my converted bike. The ENO supports flipflop with one side fixed, one free. I keep a fixed cog mounted along with the freewheel. I don't ride fixed alot, but when I want to its only a 2 minute operation to make the change! My next rear wheel will be flipflop with 2 freewheel ratios. I know some people are so hung on the idea of Discs that they wouldn't do this, but honestly rear brakes of anykind really add little to your total stopping power, so I would rather have the versatility of 2 ratios at all times.

My .02c

MC

Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Are these a good idea for getting your ss bike capable of more riding? I'm new to the SS world and am looking for ideas to help build my frame. Also, for those that do, what gear ratios are you using and what are the different sized rings you have on the hub? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Tony

blame me for missed rides

which kind of flip flop?

Tony
    do you mean the threaded both sides (fixed/free AND free/free flipflop) or only fixed/free kind of flipflop?

i actually only used one side of the wheel.

Faster Than Your TV!

Good job! RE: Freewheel on one side, fixed on the other...

Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    I keep a 18 tooth fixed cog on the other side as a backup gear if my freewheel craps out.
    Good idea, especially if you're prone to riding in cold weather. Wish I had done that on a fairly recent snow ride, when my shitmano freewheel froze up with the pawls open and I basically had a free-spinner in both directions. Would have prevented an almost 2 mile roll-a-bike back to the car.

Still haven't done it myself, though...
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

mtbr member

I think it's great

I've got a Phil flip flop on my Karate Monkey. I have a 20 tooth freewheel on one side and either a 18 tooth fixed cog (for trail riding) or a 15 tooth fixed cog (for commuting/road) on the other side. I actually do flop it quite a bit because I like fixed gear riding and it makes getting to/from the trail so much better, and it makes some trails a lot better. Another reason for fixed gear on one side is you won't have to re-adjust your brakes when you flop the wheel.

I really like my disc brakes on my other ss, but the flip flop is so versatile that I'm sticking with vees for now on the KM.

formerly Giantxc
    I have a surly flip-flop, but have only flipped it mid-ride once.

I am the owl
    Surly flip-flop, run freewheel and fixed, both 2:1 (34x17). Use the freewheel most, but the fixed gets it's share of use, especially in the snow and ice.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

jrm
    mtbr member

Using a flip flop freewheel hub

Tony
    using a 34/18 for dirt and a 36/16 for the road.

JAK
    mtbr member

It is a nice versatility gig

A while ago, on the Hunter my Phil had a 20 on one side and 16 on the other...both freewheels. Rick brazed the sub11s so that the 'slot' was on the same plane as the brake boss, therefore no need to adjust brakes...super cool and way sano if you run canti/Vees. Now the Phil is on the SyCip and flips fixed...18 and a 16, I need to ge a 20 cog and my fix will be locked into versatility...flip'n is fun
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.