flip flop hub with freehub body?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

flip flop hub with freehub body?

is there such thing? (for a road bike) if not, why not? i'm tossing around the idea of building up a fixed/free wheel, but i despise freewheels.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    is there such thing? (for a road bike) if not, why not? i'm tossing around the idea of building up a fixed/free wheel, but i despise freewheels.
    Maybe Phil Wood would do it given enough cash.

You can also use a regular (SS or gearie) disk cassette hub and bolt a cog to the rotor mount - make your own cog or get one from Boone.

mtbr member
    i was thinking about that. how reliable is that? seems a little sketch to me....but i don't know.

mtbr member
    nevermind, i need a roadie hub...130 spacing. Phil has a roadie hub with a freehub body and disk mounts, but it's $3.99....i mean, $399.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    What's wrong with a freewheel besides the installation/removal and untweakable chainline?
    A ENO freewheel is the best there is and prolly rivals the best freehubs.

Van Dessell is the cheapest decent fixed/free hub I can find, Surly's second but in 135mm spacing.

BUT!, you could just stuff any 135mm spaced hub in between the stays of the roadie as long as it's steel or Ti.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

tandem hub

My tandem's Hugi freehub has threading on the left side intended for an Arai drum brake. It's the same threading as a freewheel's. I carry a SS freewheel on it so if the freehub pawls implode, I can turn the wheel around and ride out without having to resort to the option of tying the large cog to the spokes with whatever's available and fixed gearing home, which pretty much wrecks the spokes, but will get you home, as I have proven numerous times.
    Now that disk brakes are all the rage, don't know if any tandem hubs still come with left threading. Also doubtful is 130mm spacing. I think Santana's up to like 160mm overlocknut for dishless wheels.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Boone also makes a fixed cog that bolts to a International Standard disc hub. You could get a Chris King disc SS hub and just put a boone cog on the other side.

Good luck,

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    What's wrong with a freewheel besides the installation/removal and untweakable chainline?
    the removal of the freewheel, and the untweakable chainline (i hadn't thought of the latter, though, till you posted). i really don't like freewheels. the ENO would be nice, but i can't justify the price tag. i'd rather swallow $40 for a Boone than $80 for an ENO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Van Dessell is the cheapest decent fixed/free hub I can find, Surly's second but in 135mm spacing.
    I noticed that the website is back up again. But the wheel prices have gone up.