Flexy cranks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flexy cranks

Single Speed Junkie

Flexy cranks

Currently running a set of RF NEXT cranks and getting quite a bit of flex out of them. So I'm looking for something stiffer. Any one have experience with the ENO crank and Next? how do they compare? Any thing looking good out of interbike this year in terms of cranks with a square taper?

mtbr member
    Well I've never ridden the Next cranks but I've heard that they are supposed to be extremely stiff. I've never heard anything about flex on them. It is possible that I am misinformed. However, I would say that if you are flexing the RF Next cranks then the ENO cranks are going to feel like wet noodles. The next stem would be Profile Cromo cranks which are a huge stem up in weight but very stiff and durable. You mention about a square taper. I would personally seriously look at whether your flex is coming from your cranks or your bottom bracket. I have personally found a night and day difference between square taper and splined bottom bracket interfaces. I found the splined to be much much stiffer.

If you are unhappy with the flex in your next/square taper setup I would personally try a Shimano Xt or Saint splined setup. I would say Shimano becaues I have heard very few complaints about their setup while I have heard of numerous problems with the ISIS setup even though I have not experienced them personally.

¡Manos arriba!
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Currently running a set of RF NEXT cranks and getting quite a bit of flex out of them. So I'm looking for something stiffer. Any one have experience with the ENO crank and Next? how do they compare? Any thing looking good out of interbike this year in terms of cranks with a square taper?
    Oddly enough I find that on my rigid SS I prefer a bit of flex in my cranks.

I rode R.F. NorthShoreXS cranks for a while on the SS but found they were TOO stiff. I swithced them for the R.F. Turbine LP's and it took the "sting" ouf of the ride and provided a slightly springy feel to pedaling and most especially riding out of the saddle. The NortShores are fine for the hard-tail bot not on the rigid I've been looking for some NEXT's for the 29'er SS project, so if you are looking to dump those(cheap) drop me a line.

mtbr member

Wet Noodles...

not sure I would call my ENO's wet noodles! I rode the RF Turbines for 5 years, so very familier with them. The ENO's feel stiffer than the Turbines for sure, especially laterally.

MC

banned

noodles?

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    not sure I would call my ENO's wet noodles! I rode the RF Turbines for 5 years, so very familier with them. The ENO's feel stiffer than the Turbines for sure, especially laterally.
    I must concur. The TLPs were a lot more flexy than the ENOs I just switched to. Some people's kids...