Flat or Riser? Bar ends or no bar ends?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Flat or Riser? Bar ends or no bar ends?

Hi Everyone,

Just recently converted my Santa Cruz Chameleon to a single speed, and I had a few questions about handlebars. I was contemplating getting risers rather than a straight w/ barends (which is what I have now). The bar ends help during my climbing (standing up and using them as leverage), but I think I pulled a muscle in my forearm - probably my grip is to tight/bad form. So, I was going to go to risers with no bar ends, and maybe a longer stem to get better leverage when standing.

What do you guys think? Any school of thought on which way to go?

Thanks,
    mm

Out spokin'

Personal choice

Personally, I use flat bars with bar ends. But risers are currently in vogue.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

formerly Giantxc
    Flat or riser, go with bar ends. I'm really amazed more SS'ers don't use them - climbing out of the saddle just feels so much more natural than on the handlebar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm thinking drop bar or maybe new on-one moustache for my 29er SS which is in the pipeline. I definitely agree "side on" (for want of a better description), gives you a much stronger position to pull from than straight on a flat bar - which would seem to be essential for singlespeeding..

Sam

mtbr member

Salsa Moto-Flat bars...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Personally, I use flat bars with bar ends. But risers are currently in vogue.

--Sparty
    Did you leave those 26" with the bar ends? I have bee using the same bars because of the 11 degree sweep that they make them with, and I've been considering bar ends. I'm just not sure about adding them to a bar that wide, and also the big sweep would end up flaring the ends outward (my barend choice would be the cane creeks) and I'm not so sure about how that would feel. Are yours the 11 degree or the shallower bend?

mtbr member

fruit

Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    I'm thinking drop bar or maybe new on-one moustache for my 29er SS which is in the pipeline. I definitely agree "side on" (for want of a better description), gives you a much stronger position to pull from than straight on a flat bar - which would seem to be essential for singlespeeding..

Sam
    Fron now on, I am going to swap my bars for a mango and some toast. The mango will help me in the technical sections, while the toast will help on climbs and right turns. I am also going to get an eccentric bottom chainstay that hooks up to a 4" suspension brake lever.

mtbr member

riser

i am using a 1.25" riser and its a bit wider than normal, i used bar ends for a few years but took them off one time and didnt miss them so havent put them back on

scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (72.7 KB, 3232 views)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by martinman
    Hi Everyone,

Just recently converted my Santa Cruz Chameleon to a single speed, and I had a few questions about handlebars. I was contemplating getting risers rather than a straight w/ barends (which is what I have now). The bar ends help during my climbing (standing up and using them as leverage), but I think I pulled a muscle in my forearm - probably my grip is to tight/bad form. So, I was going to go to risers with no bar ends, and maybe a longer stem to get better leverage when standing.

What do you guys think? Any school of thought on which way to go?

Thanks,
    mm

DROPBARS!

But I always say that.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I like riser bars, I have a chameleon with 90mm 5 degree rise stem and Easton risers.
    Works for me, not so bent over, easy on the back

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What the....?

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Fron now on, I am going to swap my bars for a mango and some toast. The mango will help me in the technical sections, while the toast will help on climbs and right turns. I am also going to get an eccentric bottom chainstay that hooks up to a 4" suspension brake lever.
    Man you lost me....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo
    Man you lost me....
    I was being silly. I need to tension up some slack with the eccentric top tube. Just slack. No chian needed. I also want to get a linear pull saddle, A Horst Link set of spokes, and a Ringlé WHachamajinger.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    Did you leave those 26" with the bar ends? I have bee using the same bars because of the 11 degree sweep that they make them with, and I've been considering bar ends. I'm just not sure about adding them to a bar that wide, and also the big sweep would end up flaring the ends outward (my barend choice would be the cane creeks) and I'm not so sure about how that would feel. Are yours the 11 degree or the shallower bend?
    My S.a.l.s.a.s are like 3 or 5 degree sweep. They're uncut. I've got some T.i.t.e.c Hellbent bars that are close to the same width as the S.a.l.s.a.s (12 degree sweep I think?) and they feel way different... I guess I'm so used to near straight bars that I've grown to like them better (in spite of the fact that bars with more sweep are supposed to be more ergonomic).

Anyway, I have no problem with wide bars and bar ends. As you can see, mine are "L-bends" so they feature incorporated anti-tree-grab/knuckle-protection devices. These have proved invaluable over the years... The wider my handlebars, they more the bar ends like to hook saplings...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

poser Administrator

re: bar choices

Quote Originally Posted by Zen_Dude
    I like riser bars, I have a chameleon with 90mm 5 degree rise stem and Easton risers.
    Works for me, not so bent over, easy on the back
    I know this is like arguing whether there is life on other planets, but FWIW, I use a long 120mm chromo Titec stem and an old titec hellbent riser (yellow of course) I love the length on the SS (my dually I use an 80mm) and the risers is as wide as I prefer to use, gives good leverage and strength transfer when coupled with the stem. With this combo I have never really needed barends anywho. The bar ends scare me with the up-downs that the trails I ride have. The concept of being on the barends on an up only to drop into a chute all rigid and bouncy is a little scary. Or is it just me?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXSS
    I run the Salsa Pro Moto's also. Kept them at 26" and they have 5 degrees of sweep. Titec Shorty bar ends as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How about some Jeff Jones H-bars?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I was being silly. I need to tension up some slack with the eccentric top tube. Just slack. No chian needed. I also want to get a linear pull saddle, A Horst Link set of spokes, and a Ringlé WHachamajinger.
    Ernesto
    You should try a double clamp hub, Stan's No (Seat) tubes and Oury lock on stem caps. They may be just what you need.

Ummm..............errr.............I mean to say you are a very silly man.

Oh yeah. And a vote for risers as well.