Fixxer w/non-Shimano Brand Hub?- Mtbr.com
    TallahasseeTrails

Fixxer w/non-Shimano Brand Hub?

Anyone have difficulty and/or success with installing the Surly Fixxer with a non-Shimano brand hub?
    I know - I'll find out when I just do it, but I like sifting through all the advice I can get. And - oops - I already purchased and laced up the hub in question . . .
    I've got a Woodman Bill LTC 32h disc hub laced to a Large Marge for Pugsley duty. The plan is to set it up fixed, assuming I didn't need to get a Shimano-branded hub as contrasted with a Shimano-compatible hub. From Swervy's 24Feb04 post in the Surly blog:
    http://www.surlybikes.com/2004_02_01...logarchive.htm
    "One other note regarding the Fixxer: as I said, it is designed to work on most Shimano hubs. This does not just mean Shimano compatible hubs, as that refers to how the cogs fit on the freehub body. The Fixxer replaces the entire freehub body, and the way this connects to the hub itself is specific to each brand of hub."

This wheel is to be my "normally front" wheel. I wanted a disc, hence the Fixxer in a rear hub. Otherwise, I'd have just gotten a nice fixed hub and been done with it. Went with something other than Shimano just to be a bit different. (The "normal" rear is a 32h Hadley SDH, for those who care.)
    If the Woodman conversion won't work w/o problems, has anyone had success with a non-Shimano branded hub w/Fixxer rig?
    Apologies for this mixed fixed/ss/geared post. Maybe I'll catch the disease if I dip a toe in the mud first.
    Many thanks.

mtbr member
    It will work on a Nuke Proof hub with the carbon shell. The compatibilty comes from the shimanyo freehub mounting to the hub shell. When you take the freehub off a shimanyo hub it has a little star shaped raised portion that acts as the splines to transfer torque. the fixxer will only work with hubs that use this style to connect the freehub body to the hub shell.

Members who have read this thread: 0